Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Board Size and snow conditions (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/110681-board-size-snow-conditions.html)

tblev 12-10-2013 02:24 PM

Board Size and snow conditions

Hey folks, I'm new to the site and have been boarding 3 years, I'm about 170lbs. Currently I am riding a 2011 lib tech attack banana (153)... My understanding is that this is a little short for me but being that it was my first board, I wanted to have a bit more control. I'm also an east coaster (virginia) where pow is fairly non-existant; mostly packed and ice.

This February, my Wife and I are taking a trip to board Mt Baker in Washington, and then heading up to Whistler-Blackcomb...
This won't be a cheap trip and I am wondering if I need to up the size of my board for this...

Thoughts?

Oldman 12-10-2013 02:36 PM

First off, Welcome

Ya, I'd say you are riding a little short. You don't mention if you frequent the park. Don't know if you plan on doing such a trip every year, but I would suggest an all mountain ride in the area of 156 / 158.

Boards that would serve you well (no Park) on this trip and when you get back home:

K2 Turbo Dream
Jones Mountain Twin
Rossi Templar / One Mag

Others will chime in I'm sure. But those three are solid no brainers.

tblev 12-10-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldman (Post 1327281)
First off, Welcome

Ya, I'd say you are riding a little short. You don't mention if you frequent the park. Don't know if you plan on doing such a trip every year, but I would suggest an all mountain ride in the area of 156 / 158.

Boards that would serve you well (no Park) on this trip and when you get back home:

K2 Turbo Dream
Jones Mountain Twin
Rossi Templar / One Mag

Others will chime in I'm sure. But those three are solid no brainers.

Ok thanks, I'm not much into the park scene honestly. Maybe if I had started when I was younger and didn't have to worry so much about long term disability, mortgage payments, and a wife that knows how to spend...

andrewdod 12-10-2013 03:51 PM

Another board that i think will help you out is the Gnu Carbon Credit, its a medium flex board, and the magnetraction helps it grip the ice/hard pack, but the rocker will help it float in the powder. I actually just picked one up, landed on the doorstep at home today. Just waiting til i go home for christmas break next week to get it!

jdang307 12-10-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tblev (Post 1327321)
Ok thanks, I'm not much into the park scene honestly. Maybe if I had started when I was younger and didn't have to worry so much about long term disability, mortgage payments, and a wife that knows how to spend...

It's a little short but doable ... unless you hit pow. Also are you boarding with your wife? Float in pow would be my biggest concern but if you had to, you could I'm sure. My 210lb buddy rides a 157. But if that pow starts falling you're in doodoo.

If you can, up the size anyway since you're better now.

K2 Turbo Dream sounds great for Whistler ... but how is it on ice?

tblev 12-12-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdang307 (Post 1327777)
It's a little short but doable ... unless you hit pow. Also are you boarding with your wife? Float in pow would be my biggest concern but if you had to, you could I'm sure. My 210lb buddy rides a 157. But if that pow starts falling you're in doodoo.

If you can, up the size anyway since you're better now.

K2 Turbo Dream sounds great for Whistler ... but how is it on ice?

yes, I am boarding with my wife...she actually got me into it! I was thinking about bumping up to a 157...I went to a local ski shop nearby and he kid there told me I wouldn't want to go above a 155...at 170 lbs...why not?

kaborkian 12-12-2013 10:47 PM

Because he's a kid who rides park.

I'm 200ish, ride a 161. Wouldn't want any shorter, came down from a 163.

Shop in the 155-159 range, depends on the specific model. Lots out there to pick from. Do you ride a lot of switch? If so, find a twin, if not, get something a little more directional.

Expensive trip, right? Spending in the thousands I'm sure. So ask yourself if spending an extra $400 to have the right board is worth it. It is to me...

I love my ns cobra. Quick response, holds on ice/hard pack well, decently stable at speed, and floats in waist deep powder decent enough. Worth a look.

NickShake 12-12-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaborkian (Post 1335889)

I love my ns cobra. Quick response, holds on ice/hard pack well, decently stable at speed, and floats in waist deep powder decent enough. Worth a look.

I would also reccomend the ns cobra, its a great board that floats through pow like a dream. Never Summer has a pretty decent answer to every style of boarding really.

wrathfuldeity 12-13-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tblev (Post 1327257)
Hey folks, I'm new to the site and have been boarding 3 years, I'm about 170lbs. Currently I am riding a 2011 lib tech attack banana (153)... My understanding is that this is a little short for me but being that it was my first board, I wanted to have a bit more control. I'm also an east coaster (virginia) where pow is fairly non-existant; mostly packed and ice.

This February, my Wife and I are taking a trip to board Mt Baker in Washington, and then heading up to Whistler-Blackcomb...
This won't be a cheap trip and I am wondering if I need to up the size of my board for this...

Thoughts?

Howdy,....yes it depends on the snow conditions. Both Baker and Whistler are highly variable conditions. Baker is day to day or even hour to hour; Whistler can be also but more dependent on elevation of where ur riding (Baker also at times). Both can be deep at the top and ice/slush at the bottom of a run....with various conditions between. In general your 153 is too short and perhaps flexy. Thus a potential reasonable solution....is rent or demo and get a board that will match the conditions by doing a performance rental. At Baker you can even switch out boards and bindings through out the day and thus can demo some boards you might be interested in. If you are to hit LBS there will even be more options and perhaps get to try next year's beta or proto. Anyway let me know if you want a bit of a tour or have more ? abt bakes.

Riley212 12-13-2013 06:02 PM

having grown up at baker, i second what wrath sez. If you hit pow or poo there you definitely want a stiff pow board, everything else just folds.

i wiegh 175 and was riding a 165 before reverse camber came back now i'm on a 158 chalie slasher whenever there is more that 6" of fresh. And a 157 banana magic most other times. If you like the attack banana the magic is just a more aggressive version, albeit much more expensive.