Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Wet storage (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/110729-wet-storage.html)

Punkulf 12-10-2013 04:20 PM

Wet storage

Hey everyone,

Just starting the new season here in Québec. :yahoo: I have a brand new board this year (Gnu Carbon Credit) and this will be my first full season of snowboard.

There is a small mountain just 15 minutes from my house, and they sell tickets by the hours. So here's my plan... :icon_scratch:
Wake up early, go snowboarding for 1 or 2 hours, then go to work for my normal schedule. I am just starting to link turns, and now I gotta get some regular practice under my belt...

But since the moutain is kinda between my job and my appartment, going back to my flat to deposit all my gear is not an option...

Now here's my problem : the snowboard.

It will be wet, and I fear rust on the edges. Can I just leave the board in the car wet all day? Should I took it inside at my job for it to dry? Temperatures here in winter are anywhere between +5 celcius to -30 celcius... I wanna keep it in the best condition as long as I can.

What do u guys think? I am not afraid of theft since I work in a government medical clinic, my parking is secure. Actually, I can see my car from my office window!

Also, I have a kind of knitted sleeve as a snowboard cover. Should I wait for the snowboard to dry before putting it back on for storage? I see my last pair of ice skates with the blades all rusted and I fear this could happen to my snowboard...

Varza 12-10-2013 04:25 PM

What I would do is get a cheapo bath towel and try to wipe the board dry as best as I can and also bring it into the climate-controlled office for it to properly dry for the day. If that's an option at all.

KIRKRIDER 12-10-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varza (Post 1327897)
What I would do is get a cheapo bath towel and try to wipe the board dry as best as I can and also bring it into the climate-controlled office for it to properly dry for the day. If that's an option at all.

I know I'm crazy, but I take off the bindings to let the screw holes dry every time. Takes 5 minutes and allows the board to dry up, and the bindings (screws) as well.

poutanen 12-10-2013 04:34 PM

I leave mine in the back of my SUV all the time, as long as it's out in the air it'll dry...

DiggerXJ 12-10-2013 04:37 PM

I leave mine wet/dry/whatever, never had a problem in years. Just dry it with a towel, call it good.

Oldman 12-10-2013 04:47 PM

Fast towel dry down of the deck, extra lick and promise on the edges and leave her in the car.

Kirkwood, you are crazy.....:dizzy:

OP, so great that you live so close to the hill and even better that you are taking full advantage of it. :thumbsup: I'm jealous.

RIDE ON !!!!!!!!!!

KIRKRIDER 12-10-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiggerXJ (Post 1327945)
I leave mine wet/dry/whatever, never had a problem in years. Just dry it with a towel, call it good.

Wasn't so lucky.. water seeped under my ( unused) screw holes and lifted part of the top sheet. (Arbor A-Frame). So I dry it up every time.

Caffeine 12-10-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER (Post 1327913)
I know I'm crazy, but I take off the bindings to let the screw holes dry every time. Takes 5 minutes and allows the board to dry up, and the bindings (screws) as well.

I do the same. How can you leave your board there soaking wet?

Bones 12-10-2013 05:12 PM

Dry it off with a towel on the hill, maybe dry it off again when you get to work (after the heat during the drive has melted what you missed). Leave it in the car.

If you're going to ride daily, then any rust will come off on the first run next day.

The really deep pitting rust takes time, like during summer storage. You won't have a problem with that day to day.

Lamps 12-10-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIRKRIDER (Post 1327913)

No, you're fucking insane. Burton Avenger help me with something stronger here.

Original poster if you can put the board indoors that's better for your car, which will get really humidified. For the board it doesn't really matter.

Rusty edges mean nothing, but if you're worried wipe things down.