Beginner Rider Used Board Questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Beginner Rider Used Board Questions

I am a beginner rider. i took a lesson last season and went a couple times. I go to school in Colorado and got a pass for Keystone and A-Base. i have been looking at used boards on ebay to get myself for christmas and i am having trouble figuring out what the best board would be for me. ones that i have found are so vague in their description of the model that i cant find reviews for them online. if you have any suggestions as to where to look or what i should be looking for that would be great.

5' 10"
130 lbs
shoe size 10.5

Last edited by Baconator; 12-10-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Baconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

1) Are you going to use your money from not eating on this board?

2) What kind of riding do you plan on doing?

3) The Good Ride | A Snowboard Gear Buying Guide That's a good site to read reviews. They do focus on newer stuff however.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, i have about $200-250 set aside for a used board and bindings.
As of now im just looking to go down runs, i doubt i will be doing park anytime soon nor do i think i will be going through the trees either
Old 12-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
I am a beginner rider. i took a lesson last season and went a couple times. I go to school in Colorado and got a pass for Keystone and A-Base. i have been looking at used boards on ebay to get myself for christmas and i am having trouble figuring out what the best board would be for me. ones that i have found are so vague in their description of the model that i cant find reviews for them online. if you have any suggestions as to where to look or what i should be looking for that would be great.

5' 10"
130 lbs
shoe size 10.5
I'm guessing you're a tall skinny dude rather than a supermodel, with a userid like baconator.

You should figure out your budget, and your first priority is to get boots that fit you well, and then with the money that's left over get a board and bindings.

Go to a shop, buy a pair of snowboard socks, put them on, and try on many pairs of boots till you get the best fitting pair you can find. If nothing fits well, then on to the next shop till you find something.

Then if money's getting tight go on ebay or craigslist and find a board and bindings that's about 150 cm long. Return here, post the details and price, someone will in short order advise you that its a good choice or bad choice and why.

You might look for a used burton process flying V in the smallest size you can find, I think this is 152 cm. There's a whole universe of possibilities, but that's one board that's fairly common from burton, which the only brand I know their line well enough to recommend.

Or burton clash or blunt, again size 150 cms. If it's brand new but last year's board it should cost about 60% of retail or less. If it's nearly new it should cost 50% or retail or less.

If money's not tight then have a good long conversation with the guys in the shop that sold you the boots, get their advice, return here to see that its good advice and then get yourself a shiny new 2014 board, which will have no benefit to your learning but we all like shiny new stuff if we can afford it.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

What he said. I learned on a clash and thought it was a good board to learn on.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

the guy at the shop i was at was trying to get me into a 159 or so which i thought was too big. right now im looking at a Flow 57 153cm with bindings for $80. tried to find a review for it online but i couldn't
Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Shop,guy was wrong, 159 is huge for you.

What part of get boots first did you not understand? Seriously, try on boots until you find what fits. If you can't afford the ones that fit from the local shop, skip some meals or find a pair of last season model same boot online.

$80 for board with bindings probably means it's beat to shit.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just bought a new pair of 32 boots that fit real nice.
I have been looking at some Burton Clash's on ebay after comparing them to the new ones in store. the places around me are selling the board new for about 310. the used ones on ebay (which are 155 cm) are going for about 250 with bindings but the bindings look a little beat and there is a ding on one of the edges and has about two seasons on it. there are a couple other clash's that are 147 cm but idk if that will be too small. i can also find a burton blunt 151cm with gnu bindings from a friend for 250, looks like its in a lot better condition than the clashs on ebay. do these deals sound decent or should i just say screw it and spring for the newer stuff?

Last edited by Baconator; 12-12-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Tags
beginner, buying snowboard, used board