New to the Forum, hoping for some help with my first board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
dubcaps

Default New to the Forum, hoping for some help with my first board.

Hey everyone, it's looking like I'm about to make my my first snowboard purchase and was hoping I could get some feedback/suggestions on what I was considering. Here is a little info about me.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 185 lb
Boot size: 9.5
Riding style: Beginner, I've gone 4 times and feel like I am where I should be skill wise at this point. I'd really like to get into freestyle.
Budget: around $600
Your location of riding: East Coast (NC, VA, WV) with maybe a trip out west.

Here is what I am thinking about...

Board: Forum Recon 156 ($210 at boardparadise, seems like a good beginner board)
Bindings: Ride EX ($104 for the 2008 model at verticalurge which is local to me)
Boots: 32 Lashed ($125 for the red/white at verticalurge, i'm an nc state grad so red/white = )

If possible I'd really like to get a setup that I won't outgrow too quickly but won't break the bank. I plan to go by verticalurge tomorrow so I should be able to check out anything yall suggest in person. This process is pretty overwhelming so any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

seems like you got a pretty good setup picked out. the only thing i can say is for going out 4 times and you are at skill wise you are a fast learner. i would suggest going out a couple more times. most resorts have demo shops some board shops even rent demo equipment i would rent some demo stuff a couple times and see what you like i.e. short boards long boards park all mountain. as for your binding selection i would say break into your bank a lil more and go higher end. baords its okay you cna get away with low end bindings though are what make or break your day on the mountain low end bindings are gunna bust your feet and after 6 runs you will hate yourself. so i would either add more to your budget or spend more towards your bindgngs. check out 5150 boards they are made by ride and are quality but cheaper.
Dawg Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcaps View Post
Hey everyone, it's looking like I'm about to make my my first snowboard purchase and was hoping I could get some feedback/suggestions on what I was considering. Here is a little info about me.

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 185 lb
Boot size: 9.5
Riding style: Beginner, I've gone 4 times and feel like I am where I should be skill wise at this point. I'd really like to get into freestyle.
Budget: around $600
Your location of riding: East Coast (NC, VA, WV) with maybe a trip out west.

Here is what I am thinking about...

Board: Forum Recon 156 ($210 at boardparadise, seems like a good beginner board)
Bindings: Ride EX ($104 for the 2008 model at verticalurge which is local to me)
Boots: 32 Lashed ($125 for the red/white at verticalurge, i'm an nc state grad so red/white = )

If possible I'd really like to get a setup that I won't outgrow too quickly but won't break the bank. I plan to go by verticalurge tomorrow so I should be able to check out anything yall suggest in person. This process is pretty overwhelming so any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help!
Dont buy anything from boardparadise, do a search for board paradise and tightboards if you want to know why.

The Lashed are awesome boots for my feet, only way to know for you is to go try em on. They "might" be on the stiff side for a beginner however. Try out as many boots as you can.
Recons a good choice, maybe buy from here
instead, they are reliable and its on sale
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
dubcaps

Thanks for the advice. What other boots/bindings should I check out tomorrow?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

anything burton is a safe bet. I rock 32s and swear by them boot wise is all personal prefernce i would say though try on atleast 5 different pairs all from wicked cheap to your price range to way outta your price range to see the difference in what you get what you pay for. spend atleast 15 min in each boot walking jumping stretching lunging and every other action you could see your feet going through on a mountain day.. again check out 5150 boards they are some quality non bank busting boards.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
kyouness

stay away from cheapo brands like 5150, Lamar, M3, etc. you can get better boards with better tech for the same price if you go with last year's stuff. even if you went with this year's stuff, brands like Rome, CAPiTA, K2, Ride, Burton, etc. will have some well-priced park boards that will be worth way more than the $50 you saved on that 5150.

i hear good things about the Recon. stick with that if you wanna stay in that price range.

for bindings you can't really go wrong with Rome. the Arsenals and 390's are some great bindings. Union also makes good bindings with the Force and Contacts. Burton's Cartels and Triads are great... just stay away from the Customs.

Last edited by kyouness; 01-05-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

maybe we will disagree on this but i dont think 5150 is cheapo at all. they are owned by ride and seeing as you endorsed ride i will assume you consider them quality. IMO your statement would be like saying dont buy that GMC sierra get the Chevy sivlerado instead. albeit the 5150s may not have all the bells and whistles but for a beginer with a 600 budget it will do fine.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher View Post
maybe we will disagree on this but i dont think 5150 is cheapo at all. they are owned by ride and seeing as you endorsed ride i will assume you consider them quality. IMO your statement would be like saying dont buy that GMC sierra get the Chevy sivlerado instead. albeit the 5150s may not have all the bells and whistles but for a beginer with a 600 budget it will do fine.
Ill have to agree, there are decent low low end boards out there, as long as you aren't buying a foam core board you're ok, but you seem to be on the right track witht eh recon.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
kyouness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher View Post
fair enough. but he did say he wanted a board he wouldn't outgrow too quickly. fact of the matter is that he can buy a 5150 which is perfectly fine for a beginner, but he would probably outgrow it by the end of the season. whereas he can get last year's Rome Graft, Ride Kink, K2 WWW, etc. and learn on it, then take it right to the park next season where those boards will shine even more. it's a long term investment rather than instant gratification... for about the same price.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

tru true good call. that is a great way to approach it. i merely offered my advice seeing as he was looking for a freestyle board and said he was a newb. just my opinion but i would hate destroying a nice WWW cause im learning rather tear up a lower end board. but hey if you can find a good deal on last years models might as well bang it out right