Would this package be ok for my son? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would this package be ok for my son?

Hey again. Ive been looking for a package deal for our 14 year old son. He's 5'7", 135lbs. He's still a beginner and has used rentals exclusively until now. We're near Chicago and ski in Wisconsin but were also going to Tahoe in the spring. He picked out this board on looks only so I just wanted to make sure it would be ok for him. Are those bindings and boots ok? Thanks in advance!

http://bit.ly/1bDNzAc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.4 KB, 47 views)
xray328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

A 153 is a little long for him, he's right on the bottom end of the weight rating for that board, so it'll be tougher for him to learn on. Aim for something around 150 cm or so (depending on the model).

The board itself is a rocker/hybrid shape which will likely be different from what he's rented (camber). He may enjoy it, or he may hate it, better to demo if possible so he can find exactly what'll make his riding get better (instead of just looking good!!!)

Last is the boots, those boots may be great for him, but there's no way of knowing without trying them on. Snowboard boots need to fit SNUG. You're almost guaranteed to not get a proper fitting boot by buying them off the internet. I'd head to a local shop for boots and try a million pairs on, hopefully the shop people will know enough to help him figure out if he's getting any heel lift or if he's toes are too crunched in the front (some contact with the front of the boot is okay).

Hope that helps!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote