Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Poor wax job on snowboard (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/111017-poor-wax-job-snowboard.html)

akrasa 12-11-2013 02:34 PM

Poor wax job on snowboard

i brought my snowboard into a sport chalet and apparently their new worker messed up on my board and didn't clean it before waxing and waxed dirt into the bottom of the board it is all blackened on the bottom of the board. is there any negative effect on my board or what can be done about it to fix the board without damaging the board?

Oldman 12-11-2013 02:40 PM

Good news: no negative effect.

Now, take the board back to sport chalet, get someone, not the flunkey noob, who knows what they are doing and have them:

Hot scrape the board to clean it. ( They might suggest going at it with a "board cleaner" but only if it is really bad. )

After it has been cleaned properly, ask them to rewax, scrape and polish the board and it should come back to you looking better than new.

ALL at no cost to you.

poutanen 12-11-2013 03:13 PM

Have you got any pics? Blackened sounds more like something's burnt than just a little dirt being spread around on the base.

If it is dirt just follow Oldman's advice.

sheepstealer 12-11-2013 03:17 PM

OR: go buy yourself a block of all-temp wax, a cheap iron and a scaper and watch youtube videos to learn and wax yourself. Saves you time and money. Oh, and its very hard to "screw up" the wax process.

If you teach a man to fish...

snowklinger 12-12-2013 01:03 AM

some shops have a graphite additive they will add to a wax leaving pencil shaving like dust all up in your wax job, fret not.

its unicorn go-fast tears from hurting them.

Lamps 12-12-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepstealer (Post 1331553)
OR: go buy yourself a block of all-temp wax, a cheap iron and a scaper and watch youtube videos to learn and wax yourself. Saves you time and money. Oh, and its very hard to "screw up" the wax process.

If you teach a man to fish he will sit in a boat all afternoon and get drunk.

tanscrazydaisy 12-12-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepstealer (Post 1331553)

I've seen a crappy DIY wax job.... that I fixed for someone last year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowklinger (Post 1332873)
some shops have a graphite additive they will add to a wax leaving pencil shaving like dust all up in your wax job, fret not.
its unicorn go-fast tears from hurting them.

The graphite or molybdenum additive isn't something they add to the wax at the shop... you (and shops) can buy wax with the graphite/moly in it.

THis is my first year using a moly wax.... my older board, you can barely tell there's moly in the base. My new board... there are blotches of moly wax staining.... though I suspect my older board, since it has many more layers of wax in the base, probably mixed better.

snowklinger 12-12-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanscrazydaisy (Post 1333209)
The graphite or molybdenum additive isn't something they add to the wax at the shop... you (and shops) can buy wax with the graphite/moly in it.

It comes both ways padawan.

tanscrazydaisy 12-12-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowklinger (Post 1333401)
It comes both ways padawan.

so... where do I buy graphite or molybdenum power to "sprinkle" onto the board to mix with the wax?

...do I go to the hardware store and buy some lock lubricant (which is graphite powder)?

snowklinger 12-13-2013 04:50 AM

You have to go to the unicorn torture basement in the secret aisle of Home Deepdoh.