Lib-Tech Hot Knife vs Rossignol Krypto - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Lib-Tech Hot Knife vs Rossignol Krypto

I'm just an older guy who enjoys bombing around the mountain. Most of my time is spent cruising fast down groomers. Occasionally I like to seek out some off trail excitement such as the cliff or bowls @ Big White. I currently ride a 2009 K2 Zepplin (the last year of camber). I am thinking of purchasing either a Hot Knife or Krypto paired with Ride Capo bindings. I do not do any park riding. These two boards have similar qualities & some differences. I am 5'8 165 lbs & size 8 boot. I would also consider myself an advanced intermediate rider. I want something with mag edges to help out when night riding on the local northshore mountains.
Truck240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck240 View Post
I'm just an older guy who enjoys bombing around the mountain. Most of my time is spent cruising fast down groomers. Occasionally I like to seek out some off trail excitement such as the cliff or bowls @ Big White. I currently ride a 2009 K2 Zepplin (the last year of camber). I am thinking of purchasing either a Hot Knife or Krypto paired with Ride Capo bindings. I do not do any park riding. These two boards have similar qualities & some differences. I am 5'8 165 lbs & size 8 boot. I would also consider myself an advanced intermediate rider. I want something with mag edges to help out when night riding on the local northshore mountains.
I haven't ridden the hot knife, but I have ridden the Jamie Lynn C3 and I love it. Very fast and stable at high speeds. Easy to turn too since you're going from a camber to essentially a camber. A little harder to navigate in deep pow, but does just fine in the shallow stuff. Definitely recommend the c3 profile!! and if you can find some cartel ltds to pair with them you will be even happier!
adubg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I should mention either board would be a 156 cm as that is what I currently ride.
Truck240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
The Krypto RCR profile with camber between the binding gives you all the benefits of a camber board and its super fast. I think it would be a little more stable when flat basting. Money wise Krypto its cheaper. Moosejaw.com has 2013 model $298
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Just checked moosejaw.com web site Krypto156 is $263
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I think what it comes down to is really the board profile. Like what snowdog wax said the Krypto is Rocker Camber Rocker profile, while the Hotknife is the C3 Camber Rocker Camber. The C3 is really a camber board with a small amount of rocker or reverse camber in between the bindings. Both will have a different feel. The C3 will feel like a more aggressive camber board with rocker helping in the powder and reducing the edge catch. Can't say much about the Krypto tho as I have never ridden it.
adubg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

You are currently riding what many would regard as one "classic hot bomber" of a deck. Both of the boards you are considering are very good boards, but I'm concerned that you might be disappointed in both of them after riding your Zep for so long.

I strongly suggest you try to demo both of those before putting down your ducats.

If you plan to simply add to the Zep, then either board would be a nice complement and both will handle the harder / ice conditons.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'd go with a Krypto..........you can get such a good deal now on the 2013's that remain (it's the same as the 2014, cept for graphics)
jokermtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

I've ridden the Hot Knife and while I liked it, I wouldn't consider it a bomber board. I found the flex was too soft for that. I would look at the Jaime Lynn or the Darker Series if you want a Lib Tech C3 for bombing. This assumes you don't need a true twin, as both of those boards are directional.

Salomon XLT comes to mind as a bomber board. Very fast base, and lightweight. I used to ride the predecessor (Salomon Special II) and liked that.

I like the specs on the Krypto and have read positive reviews on it, but I haven't ridden one.
GreyDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rossi's RCR profile is great for bombing, the camber give you speed and the rocker keeps it catch free and float over chunder and crud snow. Krypto is similar to the experience (just softer i think) and Xavier De La Rue destroys everything on that!
16gkid is offline   Reply With Quote