Looking to expand my boarding! Suggestions on a new board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Custom X or Antler or suggestions! Looking to expand my boarding style!

So before i list a bunch of random boards asking for advice heres a little background. About 4 years ago i tried boarding for the first time and instantly fell inlove with it. Bought my first gear that same winter.

Burton Joystick Snowboard 154 - 2010
Cartel EST bindings M
Hail Boots - Coalition 10.5

So i think im ready for a new board. At the time i bought all this i wasnt to sure if i was going the park route or freeriding/backcountry. Didnt know what mountain conditions really looked like in the east coast (I live in NYC) etc.

What im thinking is now that im more about the freeriding. I was thinking of a stiffer board and my considerations where these.

Custom X - 2014 Custom X Camber Snowboard | Burton Snowboards

Antler - 2014 Antler Springloaded Snowboard | Burton Snowboards

Custom X being a extreamly different board from my understanding and the Antler being a neat medium.

I was also recommended the Never Summer Raptor - Raptor | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories

So ya advice, greatly appreciated! Im also looking to get new bindings and boots. Possibly to give my old setup to my brother.

Last edited by asukaoyl; 12-11-2013 at 07:11 PM.
asukaoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You should do some demos.

Antler and Custom X have one thing in common, both are high end boards with top technology in the burton line. Ignore the mystery, vapor and so on, only douchebags (like me) own those boards.

You want a custom X if you are mad about edge hold, like to rip groomers at 50 mph, and carve the hill into shreds. You probably want diode bindings to go with it. Steeps, technical riding, bring it on. Or you're just a crazy guy who loves to bomb it.

You want the Antler if you want a lightweight responsive board that will be a lot of fun on the hill and can go in the park a bit too. Good on soft snow but not a powder board You likely will pair it with genesis bindings.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply.

Iv been leaning towards the Custom X seems to be more capable of handing Groom/Powder and its enough of a difference from my joystick so i wont feel like im getting the same board again. Which is what I have decided i want to focus on. Im not hitting the park, but I do want something that i can take between some trees and just goof around on. Think the Custom X is going to be too stiff for that? Also the Diode bindings are cool but cant i just stick with the Cartel EST? Was thinking about pairing the Custom X or Antler with these:

2014 Cartel EST Snowboard Binding | Burton Snowboards

Also sidenote been messing with my angles and width recently 5.9 dude 180 pounds and im thinking of trying out.

22'' width About 1'' offset towards the back and directional angles (20, 10)

Still considering the Antler and im thinking about a new pair of boots. Im thinking the Imperial Boots

http://www.burton.com/default/imperi...erial%20burton
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Custom X plus Cartels is a great setup, they will match that board well.

I agree that your joystick being a relatively soft board is better as a companion to the custom X. Antler would overlap to some degree.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukaoyl View Post
Also sidenote been messing with my angles and width recently 5.9 dude 180 pounds and im thinking of trying out.

22'' width About 1'' offset towards the back and directional angles (20, 10)
If I were buying a Burton freeride board right now, I'd be looking at the Landlord over the Custom X or Antler...

As far as stand width, angles etc. I say just try it and see what you like! Only adjust one thing at a time though. If you're adjusting stance width, leave the angles the same, and vice versa.

I'm 5'7", ride a 21.25" stance width with -9 +9 angles. If I were going to positive angles I'd probably go something like +9 +27 to start (keeping the centre angle 18 degrees in both cases).
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was looking at the Landlord, main reason why i didnt consider it was the extreme directional S-rocker. I feel more comfortable with a twin or twin like board. Only because i tend to move around/switch a lot. I also dont have access to a lot of backcountry/powder so it seem more logical to get something like the custom. Thoughts?

As for angles im still confused how to measure/base them. My default stance is regular so my bindings are pointing towards to front of the board. Both off set towards the left. Assuming this is +20, +10.

Heres a pic for reference just incase im horribly wrong.

Entire Board - Imageshack - f0e1.jpg
Left Foor - http://imageshack.us/f/10/7wxk.jpg/
Right Foot - Imageshack - wz7e.jpg
Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Thoughts?

Heres a pic for reference just incase im horribly wrong.
My bad, although I don't think the landlord would be horrible to ride switch. I ride switch now on a board that has nose rocker only and it's not bad, but I only ride switch 10% of the time... The Custom X would probably be great if you're never in any real powder.

Yeah your stance looks something like +20 +10 or so. I'm goofy so for me the numbers would be opposite. Only thing I've seen is people go with a larger front angle when their back foot is at +10. Maybe try +25 to +30 or so? Unless you're already happy with this stance, in which case rock on...
Old 12-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Im def gonna mess around with my angles this season. When i took that picture i just finished changing them at home. And to be honest i don't even remember what my old angles were. All i know is i was centered and my back foot was almost entirely even with the board and my left was slightly angled towards the front.

My plan is to do a run, tweak do another run and keep tweaking. Unless you don't advice me mess around with the bindings between runs. For safety reasons but i dont see how that would be a issue if i was making sure everything was tight.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
My plan is to do a run, tweak do another run and keep tweaking. Unless you don't advice me mess around with the bindings between runs. For safety reasons but i dont see how that would be a issue if i was making sure everything was tight.
Nothing wrong with tweaking between runs, just be careful you don't strip the screws or inserts. The good thing with the channel/EST/ICS is that it's much easier to make field adjustments to the stance.

Just make sure you bring a pocket tool with you in case it loosens off on the hill. I'd try a couple runs with each stance. It'll take a couple runs just to get used to it.

I think most pros that use a forward stance are somewhere around +10 back foot and +30 front for what it's worth...