13mm default stance setback - negate it or leave it? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 13mm default stance setback - negate it or leave it?

Hey guys,

So the board i'm getting is a Rossignol Templar with a 13mm (about .5") stance setback. Is this considered a lot, or not very much set back at all?
I'm considering negating the setback by placing the front binding forwards by one hole (which would move my stance forward by 1cm... right?). I ride on the east coast, and there isn't very much pow to speak of at all so a setback does nothing for me. On the other hand, while I don't foresee myself going into the park anytime soon, I want to be able to ride switch and do spins and stuff on groomed runs.

Should i bother trying to negate the setback? Or will that make it worse, since the Templar has a progressive sidecut (which means it might feel 'right' with a little setback)?

Last edited by ThisIsSnow; 12-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.
ThisIsSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

I wouldn't bother. That's negligible.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

^ +1 what he said

However:

If you really wish to negate the setback and centre yourself on the board you need to do the following

1) Establish your stance width.

2) You now want to mount your bindings on your board, maintaining your stance width, but with the same measurement from the tip of your board to the middle of your front binding and from the tail of your board to the middle of your back binding.

Example:

21 inch stance with

19 inches from the tip to middle of front binding
19 inches from the tail to middle of back binding
Old 12-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

I'm not familiar with the board you're referring to, is it a true or directional twin? If it's a directional twin design, you probably don't want to negate the setback. Centering your stance on a directional within the setback specs of the board is how it was designed to be ridden. I did that once on my Arbor Roundhouse, direction twin! Once!!!!

(...although for the sake if clarity & full disclosure, My Roundhouse has about 2+ inches of setback built into it!)

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSnow View Post
Hey guys,

So the board i'm getting is a Rossignol Templar with a 13mm (about .5") stance setback. Is this considered a lot, or not very much set back at all?
I'm considering negating the setback by placing the back binding back by one hole (which would move my stance back by 1cm... right?). This is because I ride on the east coast, and there isn't very much pow to speak of at all. I don't foresee myself going into the park anytime soon, but I want to be able to ride switch and do spins and stuff on groomed runs.

Should i bother trying to negate the setback? Or will that make it worse, since the Templar has a progressive sidecut (which means it might feel 'right' with a little setback)?
Hi,

What you wrote above is not quite right. Moving your binding(s) back will increase the setback not negate it.

A quick word on setback. Boards with setback often have inserts that are still centered on the sidecut and running length (not always though). I would highly suggest trying a stance using (or symmetrically adjusted from) the center inserts. Ride for a few days there and then break out the screwdriver and begin adjusting
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi,

....What you wrote above is not quite right. Moving your binding(s) back will increase the setback not negate it.
OfFs! Lol! I really need to start reading these a bit closer! (...ADD is a biatch!)

WS is right of course. To negate setback you would move your front binding forward. But the truly pertinent point is that they are also correct in stating that you should first set-up & ride it as intended before fiddling with it.

As has been stated already, I'm not sure you would even notice 13mm of difference!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Moving your binding(s) back will increase the setback not negate it.
whoops... that's what i get for posting at 3am lol. i meant moving the front binding forwards one notch (by 2cm). fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
I'm not familiar with the board you're referring to, is it a true or directional twin? If it's a directional twin design, you probably don't want to negate the setback. Centering your stance on a directional within the setback specs of the board is how it was designed to be ridden. I did that once on my Arbor Roundhouse, direction twin! Once!!!!

(...although for the sake if clarity & full disclosure, My Roundhouse has about 2+ inches of setback built into it!)
that's what i was worried about - it's a directional twin so it's supposed to have a progressive sidecut and a stiffer tail. Might feel weird if i tried to negate the setback.

But thanks guys, I'll leave it as it is and ride with it for a while!

Last edited by ThisIsSnow; 12-12-2013 at 10:52 AM.
ThisIsSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

You're talking about a half inch, it's not going to kill you either way. If you want to try it centred, try it! Just make sure you keep the stance width the same or it'll feel different for that reason.

The rule when setting up cars is: only adjust one setting at a time. Same should apply to snowboards.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Be careful of trying to neutralize setback by going forward of the center inserts. Many directional boards that state offset actually still have their insert clusters centered on the sidecut, running length or both. In these cases the offset is relative to the overall tip to tip length. In these instances moving your stance forward (even a little) will make the board ride horribly (front heavy, divey, catchy). Being back of center by a cm can be almost unnoticeable but forward the same cm can be majorly awful.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote