Should I sell this board I just got? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I sell this board I just got?

Hey, so a guy I know sold me his 160 burton bullet for $60, its barely used looks pretty new. Now I didn't really look at any reviews and I thought hey that's cheap and its my size why not. I am 6'1" 165# and have size 13 boots. Now looking at some reviews people say its a pretty crappy board and mainly for beginners.
Now for the record this is my first board I have bought, but that is because the 5 years I boarded I would grow so much between seasons it would have been a waste of money. Then last year I really focused on my surfing so I didn't board at all. Because of this I have always used rental gear.

Im not that into snowboarding and would call myself intermediate so I don't know much about equipment, I am mainly a surfer (I would call myself advanced at that). I don't like park too much but I can hit boxes and do 360s, fall a lot and that's about it. Only time I really venture there is because my friends want to. I am mainly into backcountry and powder where I am comfortable with speed and small cliffs (biggest I have tried is 20ft but I always want to up myself) black diamond/double black diamond no problem. I would say I more of a ballsy rider than skilled. I have boarded most of the good mountains in Cali and Colorado, and even Zermatt before. I also enjoy bombing groomed runs if there is no powder.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by riding this board? Mainly just trying to keep snowboarding cheap as I spend all my money on the other sports I am more serious about (car racing eats all my cash).

Thanks, feel free to give me any advice on what I should look for in equipment I really know nothing more than I need a wide board or my toes hit the ground and I liked 160's the best. Also I noticed I hated one board cause it was really flexy.

Last edited by boarderfromSLO; 12-11-2013 at 11:44 PM.
boarderfromSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

The Bullet is a pretty crappy deck, it makes compromises in materials to lower the price point for entry level riders which still being a functional all mountain deck. It also has a beginner oriented profile which makes it easy to learn new riding techniques but doesn't really compliment them. I rode a K2 Brigade starting out which is almost identical to the Bullet and recently moved to a Slackcountry for freeriding. I like a stiff deck because I prefer pop and stability over playfulness but that's not to say you can't get away with a medium stiffness deck for some extra play while still being able to carve and bomb hills.

You may like the Ride Machete GT, I eyed it for a good long time before deciding on another profile. Its pretty stiff and stable but it has rocker in the tips which keeps it playful. Otherwise just shop around for an all mountain deck or an all mountain freestyle deck, as marketing would address them. You sound like you're not too interested in freestyle decks, riding big mountains with plenty of terrain and features to enjoy doesn't usually warrant much a need for them.

I can't recommend specific decks because I really haven't ridden that many. But there are certainly folks on here who can. Might want to put out an actual number for your budget. If you get some recommendations maybe look into rolling the model back a few years or buying used gear, as long as its good shape you can usually get a great setup for under a grand.

On a side note, if you can tackle double blacks you're usually considered to be at the top of learning curve, which is "expert" or "pro" on most scales. But that's beside the point.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Sleep Shred View Post
On a side note, if you can tackle double blacks you're usually considered to be at the top of learning curve, which is "expert" or "pro" on most scales. But that's beside the point.
I don't get this line of thought. I can ride anything I've ever encountered inbounds and I'd consider myself an upper level intermediate at best. There are some sick riders out there who are just average joes and I think that advanced tag should be reserved for them. And if riding double blacks means you're a pro, somebody owes me some goddamn money!

Last edited by linvillegorge; 12-12-2013 at 12:27 AM.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. So I found a K2 ambush with ride lx bindings for $100 seems to be in pretty good condition, just waiting to hear back from the guy. some searching shows this is a decent board but I was wondering if anyone could confirm before I made another mistake.

Reason I said intermediate is I know most of the other guys on those runs are better than me, I am just carving to slow down and jumping off the small stuff. I guess I just have a hard time calling myself advanced on a rental board.

edit: ^^exactly my train of thought, some guys are crazy out there and dedicate to boarding. I don't, I dedicate to surfing

oh and budget, probably 250 for a board and bindings

Last edited by boarderfromSLO; 12-12-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
I don't get this line of thought. I can ride anything I've ever encountered inbounds and I'd consider myself an upper level intermediate at best. There are some sick riders out there who are just average joes and I think that advanced tag should be reserved for them. And if riding double blacks means you're a pro, somebody owes me some goddamn money!
Me either, I don't think "skill level" is ever truly relevant. Its just what the scales say... some regions have triple blacks and call them pro level slopes, never really figured out why. Maybe you just get handed sponsorships for being able to ride them, who knows...
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Since you already own it, why not take it for a spin before relying on internet reviews and strangers in forums? I started on a Bullet and have probably 40 days on it, and still use it when I'm feeling playful. The only issue I ever had with it is it's not super stable when trying to go fast. But yet I ride with a guy who loves his Bullet, bombs hills with it, jumps, butters, everything. He's damn good and just loves that board.
Caberfae: 3
Boyne Highlands: 2
Bittersweet: 1
Boyne Mountain: 1
Holly: 1
Nub's Nob: 1

Drinking the Kool-Aid:
2013 NS Heritage 166X
2014 Union Factory
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Since you already own it, why not take it for a spin before relying on internet reviews and strangers in forums?
Exactly. This reminds me of the guy who had two sets of bindings, wanted to know which ones to use. Take that puppy out, see how it rides.

If it's in good shape and only cost you $60 keep it regardless and you've got a rock board should you decide you want to get something else. Borrow or demo something that is stiffer and higher tech to see if you like the difference, maybe the Bullet will do it for you.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You paid $60, just ride the hell out of it and maybe get a new board in the off-season when they are cheaper. I also have a hard time believing someone who hardly rides and rents gear is anything but a beginner.
Tech420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Alright you guys are right I will try it out, I guess for $60 I cant go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
I also have a hard time believing someone who hardly rides and rents gear is anything but a beginner.
Cool? I accurately described my skill level to get the best advice possible but if you think someone who has spent a month in the backcountry powder at snowmass is a beginner just because they rent then what do I call someone who can't even link together carves? I never said I was pro but I do think I am a decent intermediate rider. And I am smart enough to know my limit I don't go bombing every single double black but I certainly have done my fair share of them.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think that's the best choice at this point for you. For 60 bucks, ride the thing dude. Like I said my buddy likes his and he is a pretty damn good rider. He even had it a Jackson Hole last year. Who knows, you might hate it, but these things are such personal preference anyways it's not to going to hurt to ride it a few times. It's probably not worth the resale value to sell it anyways; that's part of why I keep mine around. That and it's a good "rock" board and backup in a pinch.
Caberfae: 3
Boyne Highlands: 2
Bittersweet: 1
Boyne Mountain: 1
Holly: 1
Nub's Nob: 1

Drinking the Kool-Aid:
2013 NS Heritage 166X
2014 Union Factory
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote