Beginner Rider: New or Used? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Beginner Rider: New or Used?

I am a beginner rider. i took a lesson last season and went a couple times. I go to school in Colorado and got a pass for Keystone and A-Base. i have been looking at used boards on ebay to get myself for christmas and i am having trouble figuring out what the best board would be for me. ones that i have found are so vague in their description of the model that i cant find reviews for them online. if you have any suggestions as to where to look or what i should be looking for that would be great.

5' 10"
130 lbs
shoe size 10.5

Just bought a new pair of 32 boots that fit real nice.
I have been looking at some Burton Clash's on ebay after comparing them to the new ones in store. the places around me are selling the board new for about 310. the used ones on ebay (which are 155 cm) are going for about 250 with bindings but the bindings look a little beat and there is a ding on one of the edges and has about two seasons on it. there are a couple other clash's that are 147 cm but idk if that will be too small. i can also find a burton blunt 151cm with gnu bindings from a friend for 250, looks like its in a lot better condition than the clashs on ebay. do these deals sound decent or should i just say screw it and spring for the newer stuff?
Baconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Personally I'd buy used at first. Although I'd buy used name brand stuff. If you can't find a review I'd avoid!

Not sure what the used market is like in CO, but last year I bought a 1 yr old Burton Custom for $145 without bindings.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

right now im just checking ebay and stuff. not sure i wanna deal with craigslist people. i get back to colorado in early january so i want to get a board set up as soon as i can so i can get out there
Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Personally, i would rather buy last yr's stuff or even the year's before stuff new and on sale. Why... because new is new, and it's pretty easy to fool someone. Plus you get warranty. SPECIALLY if you're a begginer..... you'll have less idea of what sort of damage is important or not, or how much itnwould cost to fix it.

Unless it's such a super killer price, OR you're buying from someone with good references. Example:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...-sl-158-a.html

That ^ i would buy.

Last edited by F1EA; 12-12-2013 at 05:06 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
right now im just checking ebay and stuff. not sure i wanna deal with craigslist people. i get back to colorado in early january so i want to get a board set up as soon as i can so i can get out there
Knowing what I know from selling and buying lots of used gear, I would recommend avoiding eBay. There are a ton of used boards in Co on craigslist. Stick to boards from the bigger companies that are less than 4 years old. Know what you want before you contact the seller and if you find something you like tell the person you have the cash for it ASAP. Since you have a pass, and your ready to ride a lot more, as you get better,you'll want to try different boards. At this point. Which board you ride as a beginner won't make a significant difference to your enjoyment factor. Guaranteed as you progress, whatever you buy, you'll want something better and newer the next season.

Last edited by ridinbend; 12-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

havent been able to find a review for this board but its new and the guy has a good rating. stuff on amazon has said its a good beginner board. if you guys know anything about the brand or board that would be great

152 SLQ Twin Rocker Snowboard Boots Sym Blk Bindings Pick 1 2 3 PC Cheap Sale | eBay
Old 12-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
havent been able to find a review for this board but its new and the guy has a good rating. stuff on amazon has said its a good beginner board. if you guys know anything about the brand or board that would be great
If you're leaning towards a new budget setup, please DON'T get a no name eBay board. My first board was a no name and the binding inserts ripped out on the first run, IN MY BACKYARD...

Try wiredsports combos, I still say used isn't a bad way to go.

Wiredsport | Clearance
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...nt-boards.html

Scroll down that eBay listing to the board. It says it's a sapient deck.

http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/4221283114.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/4235402956.html

Just two, and there is many more.

Last edited by ridinbend; 12-12-2013 at 06:05 PM.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

i've heard that rockers are easier to learn on than traditional camber boards, but i found a Sapient Evolution NS that people seem to really like. would this still be easy enough to start out on or is it too much board
Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'd get new, last years gear. You can find some really good deals on some websites like evo. I just got a new K2 Happy Hour, last year's model for around $250.
DrGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote