Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Choosing an all mountain board? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/111265-choosing-all-mountain-board.html)

Wild_spot 12-12-2013 05:55 PM

Choosing an all mountain board?

I boarded for about three seasons and have had the last two seasons off. My old board was a Never Summer Pandora 146 which I loved - however I think it was a bit short for me and wasn't real stable when I was trying to go a bit faster. Due to it being kept by someone in lent It too (grrr) I need a new board.

I am 170cm/5'7 and about 75kg/170lbs.

I am a bit of a conservative rider after a big stack second season that out me in hospital. I mostly like to cruise around on the groomers or through the trees, sometimes popping over little kickers. I like to ride smooth and controlled and was only just starting to build up speed. I was pretty confident on blues and did ride a few blacks. I loved my pandora because it was really easy to initiate turns and push around, but it got a bit unstable when I did start going a bit faster.

We get a bit of ice (Australia) so I would love something with magnetraction or equivalent.

I have been looking around and I like the look/sound of:
Capita Birds of a Feather
Gnu B Pro
Gnu Ladies Pickle

I am just worried though that I might buy something too advanced for me - is that a problem? I don't want something that will kill my confidence, I want a board that is easy to ride but won't stop me progressing.

Any help would be great!

ridinbend 12-12-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild_spot (Post 1334921)
I boarded for about three seasons and have had the last two seasons off. My old board was a Never Summer Pandora 146 which I loved - however I think it was a bit short for me and wasn't real stable when I was trying to go a bit faster. Due to it being kept by someone in lent It too (grrr) I need a new board.

I am 170cm/5'7 and about 75kg/170lbs.

I am a bit of a conservative rider after a big stack second season that out me in hospital. I mostly like to cruise around on the groomers or through the trees, sometimes popping over little kickers. I like to ride smooth and controlled and was only just starting to build up speed. I was pretty confident on blues and did ride a few blacks. I loved my pandora because it was really easy to initiate turns and push around, but it got a bit unstable when I did start going a bit faster.

We get a bit of ice (Australia) so I would love something with magnetraction or equivalent.

I have been looking around and I like the look/sound of:
Capita Birds of a Feather
Gnu B Pro
Gnu Ladies Pickle

I am just worried though that I might buy something too advanced for me - is that a problem? I don't want something that will kill my confidence, I want a board that is easy to ride but won't stop me progressing.

Any help would be great!

Go with the pickle. I can already see it helping my wife in just a few days of riding. Actually I got her the ladies choice. It has camber and rocker for more of a catch free ride.

linvillegorge 12-12-2013 06:21 PM

At 170, a 146 was definitely too short for you. Also, what size boots do you wear? Unless you have small feet, you may not want to exclude some men's boards from your list.

Wild_spot 12-12-2013 06:52 PM

I think my boots are either a 7 or 8. I am an 8 in normal shoes.

Would you recommend any men's boards? I did have a ride on my then boyfriends Bataleon Something which I did like but it felt a bit like a boat, kinda hard to initiate turns, but super stable.

My only worry with the pickle is wether it will be stable for me when I go a bit faster. It seems most similar to my old pandora out of all those.

Mystery2many 12-12-2013 06:54 PM

If you want a smooth controlled ride and holds a good edge at some speed. You need a damp board with mid flex around 5-7. No full rocker board. A hybrid with rocker between the bindings and camber outside the bindings. No park board no full rocker board...

That style board will give you confidence and have a real good ride. 155-156cm

Wild_spot 12-12-2013 07:11 PM

Thank you.

The never summer raven is most of what you mentioned, though only a 4 on their scale for stiffness. Would that be too soft do you think?

Or the Gnu B Pro 155 is a 6 for stiffness and has the right shape. Doesn't mention dampness. My only fear with this board is would it be too aggressive for me?

Mystery2many 12-12-2013 07:22 PM

The Raven is stiffer than the Infinity and my girl rides the Infinity. The Infinty is very damp very stable and hold an edge on ice like a champ. The Raven has the carbonium top sheet which is awesome. The GNU B pro is a badass board too. If you go that direction I'd get a 152.

But either way you've got the right idea.

Wild_spot 12-12-2013 10:55 PM

Would the infinity be another choice do you think? The reviews I have just read sound pretty good.

Mystery2many 12-12-2013 11:27 PM

In that brand of boards. The infinity is my top choice. My girl loves it to death and every time we ride she can't stop praising it and how awesome it rides. She coming from a Ride Promise which is a rocker board and she won't step foot back on it. Though it was a really good board for her to learn on, she out grew it.

Never Summer gets way too much love on this site but "the proof is in the pudding" As we would say.

Another option is to find another brand board with the same camber rocker camber profile with similar flex and dampness. The plus there is that you will save $$$$$$$$ and can afford the Burton Escapade bindings which are the sickest female bindings to this date.

24WERD 12-12-2013 11:45 PM

b-pro, infinity, raven.

Try demo the raven first then b-pro then infinity.

go for 155 (think that's the highest) gnu, and 157 ns.