Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Older Guy needs recommendation (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/111537-older-guy-needs-recommendation.html)

ghtaylo 12-13-2013 09:30 PM

Older Guy needs recommendation

Am 53 years old snowboarding. Do not do parks....mostly blues and few blacks....really enjoy chasing my kids down the mountain in aspen/snowmass. usually 7-10 days per year. Been boarding for about 6 years.

Have a size 12 boot....and weigh 235lbs......

Any recommendations on size board and brand....was thinking about never summer, but heard they are stiff....may be harder for me to ride.

Thanks for the advice....

jdang307 12-14-2013 05:04 AM

There are so many good boards out there. You really need to go ahead and take a look at a few that you are interested in, and come back here. You probably need a wide or midwide board. At size 12 you're pretty close.

How fast are you chasing down your kids? Never summer makes boards from mid-soft to stiffer. A lot of good brands out there. Check out the Arbor Coda. Fast enough, but playful too.

cozmo 12-14-2013 05:47 AM

Check out the Jones Mountain Twin in 164w.
Do it all board, can't really go wrong with it.
There is a thread about this board that's pretty recent, read about it yesterday.
Of course I'm biased as can be cuz it's the board I have. (38, 6'4', 238lb)
Haven't ridden it yet though.

ghtaylo 12-14-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdang307 (Post 1338985)
There are so many good boards out there. You really need to go ahead and take a look at a few that you are interested in, and come back here. You probably need a wide or midwide board. At size 12 you're pretty close.

How fast are you chasing down your kids? Never summer makes boards from mid-soft to stiffer. A lot of good brands out there. Check out the Arbor Coda. Fast enough, but playful too.

Thanks Much.....my kid is going 50+mph, not me.....but decent for an older guy. Appreciate there are alot of boards....thats part of my dilemma. Too many to choose from and too many sizes. I dont ride switch so was thinking about a directional board. I currently am riding a Nitro Wide 161....

Also had narrowed the Never Summers to the Legacy or the Heritage X. I will check out the Arbor Coda. I am looking for something that is more customized to my type of riding.

Thanks for info.....

ghtaylo 12-14-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozmo (Post 1339033)
Check out the Jones Mountain Twin in 164w.
Do it all board, can't really go wrong with it.
There is a thread about this board that's pretty recent, read about it yesterday.
Of course I'm biased as can be cuz it's the board I have. (38, 6'4', 238lb)
Haven't ridden it yet though.

Thanks. I will check it out...

Wiredsport 12-14-2013 08:38 AM

Hi,

You have some great suggestions here already. A few more details would help a lot. What stance with/angles do you ride?

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

slyder 12-14-2013 08:45 AM

I'm also a dad keeping up with his kids, late 40's and try hard in the park, but not great at it. Getting better every year.

East coast you may want to think about some sort of enhanced edge system.
Magnatraction from LibTech worked great for me.
Mervin has variogrip, Arbor Griptech, even Rome now has quickrip ( sorry if I got some of them wrong, but you get where I'm going )
So many companies now offer some sort of board that is great for ice and hard packed conditions. You may want to look into this as well.

Just a thought to help you out.

Donutz 12-14-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyder (Post 1339185)
I'm also a dad keeping up with his kids, late 40's and try hard in the park, but not great at it. Getting better every year.

You're lucky, really. My wife and daughter are low intermediates (skiers). They ski together, but on the rare occasion that I do a run with them it's painful. Sometimes when I'm doing the same run as them, I'll just lap them a couple of times.

Best way to be is riding with people who are better than you.

ghtaylo 12-14-2013 09:19 AM

Narrowing down the decision....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donutz (Post 1339193)
You're lucky, really. My wife and daughter are low intermediates (skiers). They ski together, but on the rare occasion that I do a run with them it's painful. Sometimes when I'm doing the same run as them, I'll just lap them a couple of times.

Best way to be is riding with people who are better than you.

OK.......I think I am leaning toward the Heritage X vs. the Legacy. Riding Aspen/snowmass blues/some easier blacks. Powder seeking....

I was thinking the 163 vs. 166. With my weight 235 and foot size 11.5/12 hoping that is ok....

Remember not doing any parks or switchfoot. Seems to be the board from Never Summer. Am I missing anything.....

trapper 12-14-2013 09:47 AM

If you're worried about stiffness, you might want to go Legacy if you just have to have a Never Summer. I have a Heritage 166X and have you by about 30 pounds and two foot sizes and while I really like this board, it definitely is stiff, no doubt about it.