Another Noob!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 03:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
AK-Man

Default Another Noob!!

Howdy all. I am 45 years old and going through my mid-life crisis Part of re-living my youth will be to take up snowboarding right now!

I have lived in Alaska forever. An avid hockey player, I have never strapped a board or skiis to my feet but am going to do so this season, which is right around corner.

I am 6' 0'', 255 lbs and shrinking (big I know - but was 325 lbs a few months ago!), size 12 tennis shoe (appears to be size 11 in snowboard boots).

Does anyone have any recommendations for boards for big guys with big feet? (I hear toe and heel drag is not good!)

Any other tips would be welcome. I hear wrist protection is a good idea initially. Any recommendations on industrial strength wrist support??

I plan to board at Alyeska ski resort primarily. I will beat up my old body but will have a good time doing it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
N~R~G

the only good tip i have for you, AK-Man, is to keep your liqour warm on the mountain, cuz evidentally (even tho it doesn't freeze) it can get so cold that it'll freeze your throat when you drink it!

that's a good tip for someone so far north such as yourself ...a certain instructor let me in on that tip
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

welcome to the forums and congrats on dropping all that weight. I also dropped from around 350 down to now I'm 240, I was much lighter but work and bad diet put back on a few of those pounds! In any case I currently ride a Ride Decade 165w which I love. It's a little bit stiff for the true beginner but if your up for the task then the board will last you for years to come. I also wear a size 13 boot so the wide is necessary. Most companies these days have at least 1 or 2 wide or mid-wide boards for you to take a look at. Talk to your local shop, and make sure you buy the boots that you find most comfortable as that is the most important thing in terms of riding enjoyment. The wrong boots and you'll never want to go again. I also second the crash shorts idea as I bought a pair a long time ago and still wear them just out of habbit and the fact that it gives me piece of mind when I'm pushing myself a bit. Good luck with everything and enjoy the sport!
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
AK-Man

Thanks guys. Can you recommend a specific wrist guard? Given my bulk I am looking for something sturdier than normal. Have already been told the wrist guards are very important for someone like me who will undoubtedly want to go too fast too soon!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
N~R~G

most people i've noticed don't wear them. i do...just cuz i don't feel like having a broken wrist if i do fall the wrong way. but chances are, if you don't try & catch yourself from falling, you won't break your wrist.

if you're worried about going too fast too soon i think getting a helmet would be a better concern!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

i think more wrists are broken from going slow... simply falling over. Going fast its more like just crashing...
rrrtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I definitely agree...one thing you'll learn about riding a snowboard is that it gets easier when you go faster. Turning is easier and you keep your balance better. I like Red protective equipment but they'll all work.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
AK-Man

Default Got a board (borrowed)

Have borrowed a board which appears to be pretty close to what I am after.

I am 6' 0" and 265 (dropping weight everyday). I will be 245 when I first hit the slopes. I wear a size 12 tennis shoe (but a size 10.5 hockey skate). I tried on size 10 snowboard boots just for perspective and they were pretty tight. I am probably a size 11 boot.

Anyway. I have a question regarding this board having to do with toe and/or heel drag.

The board is 67" long (170.18 cm) (I measured from tip to tip including the curve on each end) and is 10 3/8" (26.35 cm) wide where the bindings are at. The base of the binding extends beyond the edge of the board by about a half an inch. This has me thinking the board is not wide enough and that I am gonna have toe drag for sure.

Should the whole binding and your whole foot be covered by the board or is it OK to have half an inch sticking out?

I can send pics of this board if I have not explained myself well.

The board appears to be a free ride board (one end is curvy-er than the other) and says "master 69 - Triple barrel" if that means anything!! (also has the word "morrow" on it. I give you this info in the event it describes board manufacturer, etc.

Told you I was a noob!!!!!

Thanks!!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Get pics. Also, how you measured the board isn't the true length. It's from contact point to contact point.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
AK-Man

Here are some pics.

The board appears to be 140 cm from contact point to contact point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Binding overhang - Bottom of board_resize.jpg (105.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Binding overhang - top of board_resize.jpg (95.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Binding_resize.jpg (104.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Board_resize.jpg (50.6 KB, 21 views)