All Mountain Board Under 350 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Andron17

Default All Mountain Board Under 350

Looking for a board under about 350.
I've done about 6 seasons, and just getting into doing real off piste stuff and tricks.
I'm looking for an All Mountain board so i can go off piste and do jumps with out really compromising on any particular style.

Also if it helps i have kinda fallen in love with the 'This Snowboard Kills Dinosaurs' Dinosaurs Will Die Board.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andron17 View Post
Looking for a board under about 350.
I've done about 6 seasons, and just getting into doing real off piste stuff and tricks.
I'm looking for an All Mountain board so i can go off piste and do jumps with out really compromising on any particular style.

Also if it helps i have kinda fallen in love with the 'This Snowboard Kills Dinosaurs' Dinosaurs Will Die Board.

Thanks.
haha go for that one, they're awesome.

Might want to post in dollars here tho seems to be mostly westerners... that's a huge budget for a board.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Andron17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsnowboardchik View Post
haha go for that one, they're awesome.

Might want to post in dollars here tho seems to be mostly westerners... that's a huge budget for a board.

Yeah, this is the first time buying a board so I'm quite new to this. Is it worth getting a great board, then mediocre bindings?

Or is getting a good board and good bindings (if that makes any sense) a better bet?

Also from buying guitars and stuff i found out that you need to get exactly what you want, and if that means waiting a bit longer than so be it...

Thanks though.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I noticed no mention of boots?

350 British pounds = 531.51 U.S. dollars

Is 531 your budget for boots/bindings/snowboard, or just the board?
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Andron17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
I noticed no mention of boots?

350 British pounds = 531.51 U.S. dollars

Is 531 your budget for boots/bindings/snowboard, or just the board?

Well, as i say i am new to this. So what would be a good 'complete' set up then? And for a pretty decent complete set up, what would i look to be spending? $1000?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can get a complete, really nice, setup for $500 no problem. I got my top-of-the-line Rome board for 1/2 the price because it was last season. If you buy some season-old stuff, you'll be within your budget.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andron17 View Post
Yeah, this is the first time buying a board so I'm quite new to this. Is it worth getting a great board, then mediocre bindings?

Or is getting a good board and good bindings (if that makes any sense) a better bet?

Also from buying guitars and stuff i found out that you need to get exactly what you want, and if that means waiting a bit longer than so be it...

Thanks though.
Nope you're right about that, but with snowboards you might not know if its exactly what you want until you ride it, if you order online.

I would say most of your time and effort should be spent on buying proper boots, they will make or break your riding experience.

Bindings within reason aren't the most important thing of the setup, you just want to watch for the stiffness of the binding.

You can still have a good time on a piece of crap board but if your boots are crap you'll be miserable.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsnowboardchik View Post
Nope you're right about that, but with snowboards you might not know if its exactly what you want until you ride it, if you order online.

I would say most of your time and effort should be spent on buying proper boots, they will make or break your riding experience.

Bindings within reason aren't the most important thing of the setup, you just want to watch for the stiffness of the binding.

You can still have a good time on a piece of crap board but if your boots are crap you'll be miserable.
What he said. Expect atleast here in the US to pay around 200ish atleast for some good quality boots. Spend as much time as you can in shops trying on boots to find the most comfortable ones dont just buy it online. Bindings are something you can definately get away with buying used as long as they arent structurally broken or the ratchets rusted badly...board you can also use a used or last years board.

I'd say
200ish on boots
200ish on board
rest on bindings
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

I just bought a completely new setup including boots, since all my gear was around 8 years old. I made some mistakes, so hopefully you can learn from them. Then main problem I had was that at first I was only going to replace my bindings, so I bought those first. Bought a moderately flexy binding to fit my old boots. Then I bought a new board, because I figured my board was old technology as well. Then, I went snowboarding on my old setup last weekend and broke one of my boots, so I ended up with new boots.

The lessons I learned:
Buy boots first. IMO they are the most important piece. Try on at least 10 pairs and at least 5 different brands. Know whether or not you want a stiff or soft boot.

Buy bindings and the board after you buy your boots. If you bought fairly stiff boots, you probably want pretty stiff bindings and a moderately stiff to really stiff board. Same goes for soft boots/bindings/board. If you're a beginner, look for a soft to right in the middle setup. Do your research. Look on the websites of different companies to find out which boots and bindings are soft or stiff.

As far as money goes:
Boots: Don't skimp here, and I wouldn't order online unless you've tried them in a store. Be aware that they might change from year to year, so trying on an '09 and buying a cheap '08 online might not be the best thing to do. I spent about $280 after taxes, but only because those were the best fitting boots. If I had found $150 dollar boots that were the stiffness I wanted and fit right I would have bought them.

Bindings: These you might be able to pick up for a good deal online after doing your research. Not sure what is still available at this point in the season, I originally bought some online for cheap, but I'll be returning/selling them because they aren't the right binding for me. Had to drop $200 after taxes on '09s.

Board: Same as bindings. A few weeks ago, there were a lot of '08s on clearance. Not sure what is available now. I spent about $240 here on a $430 retail-price board.

Total of everything was about $720, but could have been less if I had been smarter about the bindings.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

+1 to buying boots first. Make sure your heels dont lift and they are stiff/soft enough for the riding you do. So I'm the 4th person to state this so it MUST be important .

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
What he said
What she said.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote