New Board Advice - all mountain/jumps - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board Advice - all mountain/jumps

Hey,
I've been riding for about 10 years, but get out maybe a dozen times a year. I like to ride all mountain and park (1/3-1/2 of the time?). But I mainly hit jumps, a few boxes, but definitely not looking for a jib board. I'm somewhat new to the Pacific Northwest, but I'm not really looking for a powder board right now (I'm young, so I don't mind the extra work when I do get to ride powder). I want something to hit big kickers and do spins, but also just cruise around the whole mountain. Prefer a true twin, centered stance for riding switch.

I've had a 2006 K2 Darkstar (154) for a long time now and was pretty clueless to the new board tech. I got a chance to demo some Lib Tech/GNU boards recently, which have steered me a bit in the general direction of what I want, but I want some help narrowing down the list.

I tried the GNU Pickle 156 (wanted a Skate Banana, but they didn't have it). I wouldn't say I hated it, but I felt like it was my first time on a snowboard for the first run. Didn't like the "loose" feel to it. Loved the magnetraction, especially because there wasn't much snow and it could handle the really icy spots. Also, the asymmetric sidecut just felt weird to me. I didn't know about it until after I swapped boards, but I did feel like I wanted to ride more on my heels. I also tried a TRS 154. I really liked that board. It felt more "stable" and aggressive, like I'm used to on my traditional camber board.

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough snow to have any park jumps ready for the demo, so I only got a little feel for the boards on some natural hits. I did decide that I do not want a rocker board, but the hybrid camber boards that ride more like camber seemed fine. I'm not sure how the "rocker-camber-rocker" boards are, but I guess I'd like them. And I really want a more "aggressive" board. I'd also prefer a sintered base.

So I've come up with a list based on reviews at The Good Ride | A Snowboard Gear Buying Guide . I was looking for something that would be good for jumps, have good edge hold, and be good for speed. I'm not really sure which would be best. Also, I'm 150 lbs, 6 feet tall, 9.5 boot size, and ride a 15/-15 stance.

Lib Tech Hot Knife 156 (it seems like it would be more like a camber board than the TRS, which I did demo)
Salomon Sabatoge 156
Rome Mod 156
Ride DH 157
Lib Tech TRS 157
Ride Machete GT 157
Yes Trouble 156

I also looked at these boards, but cut them from my list:
Jones Mountain Twin (directional)
Never Summer Proto (the good ride described it as "semi-stable")

So any tips for the above boards or additional suggestions or advice are appreciated. I'm probably getting this board later in the season when I can find a deal.
mattsnowboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Pretty much any board that has rocker in the center is gonna have that "less stable" feel.

The hot knife is probably your best bet if you want magnetraction.

I would put the new K2 Happy Hour near the top of your list. The Salomon Assassin instead of the sabotage.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't trust any reviews from the good ride. That site is a pay for good reviews site. Best place for reviews is angrysnowboarder.com. He tells it like it is.
miplatt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by miplatt88 View Post
I wouldn't trust any reviews from the good ride. That site is a pay for good reviews site. Best place for reviews is angrysnowboarder.com. He tells it like it is.
And yet they agree on a whole lot of things...
Anticrobotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticrobotic View Post
And yet they agree on a whole lot of things...
That's more a result of there being a lot of really good boards out there right now. I have seen the Good Ride try to talk about tech they're clueless of and give boards nearly noone has the business actualy riding a great review. Everyone makes a turd, unless you read their reviews.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Was in a similar dilemma recently and ended up settling on a K2 ray gun. Flat with rocker at the tips seemed an easier transition coming from a long camber background.
sclogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miplatt88 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I found/liked the good ride because it put numbers on each board so it was easy to compare boards side to side. But sounds like I should take it with a grain of salt. I have noticed that sometimes they have the wrong info in the specs when the review says something changed for 2014. Oh well, I'll make sure to check angresnowboarder.com and others in addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
Pretty much any board that has rocker in the center is gonna have that "less stable" feel.

The hot knife is probably your best bet if you want magnetraction.

I would put the new K2 Happy Hour near the top of your list. The Salomon Assassin instead of the sabotage.
I still liked the TRS, but I guess the rocker is less pronounced than the camber.

K2 Happy Hour does sound good. I thought it was just flat camber, but the "lifted" rocker-flat-rocker sounds interesting.

Why the Assassin over the Sabotage?

Also, how does magnetraction compare to other boards on my list? I'm wondering how much I noticed it, vs. just noticing that I wasn't riding a 6 year old board that probably needs the edges tuned.
mattsnowboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Now for me to be actually helpful:
The Assassinis just stiffer than the Sabotage. That signed will help for all mountain riding. The Happy Hour is also a great option. Super stable, snappy, and floats really well. Along the same camber profile as the Happy Hour and Assassin would be the Flow Blackout. Really energetic on edge and also really quiet writer the ABT under foot. For a profile more like the Lib you ride I'd take a strong look at the Burton Custom Flying V. Honestly one of the best all mountain decks I've ridden in a long time.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote