size 16 foot, beginner..what board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
powdergirl

Default size 16 foot, beginner..what board?

hi guys, i am new to the site..
i am trying to help a friend out with finding the right board, and i found you!
lucky me!

anyway..

he is 6ft4, 220 lbs, size 16 foot. beginner.

obviously he needs a wide board, i am going for a 162-165.and here are my options.

any input at all will be really a help.

the one i am leaning towards....
Ride 5150 path.. i heard that he might gorw out of it, but i can get it for like $179. brandy new.

other options..

forum raider..$250.

salomon patrol..$250.

K2 illusion $250

ride decade..$300.

nitro shield..$250..(although i feel this one might be a little stiff..

k2 fat bob..$230 (although i am afraid this will be like a wet noodle..

ride fleetwood..$310.

thanks you guys, i have been scouring the internet all day for my friend..
thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdergirl View Post
hi guys, i am new to the site..
i am trying to help a friend out with finding the right board, and i found you!
lucky me!

anyway..

he is 6ft4, 220 lbs, size 16 foot. beginner.

obviously he needs a wide board, i am going for a 162-165.and here are my options.

any input at all will be really a help.

the one i am leaning towards....
Ride 5150 path.. i heard that he might gorw out of it, but i can get it for like $179. brandy new.

other options..

forum raider..$250.

salomon patrol..$250.

K2 illusion $250

ride decade..$300.

nitro shield..$250..(although i feel this one might be a little stiff..

k2 fat bob..$230 (although i am afraid this will be like a wet noodle..

ride fleetwood..$310.

thanks you guys, i have been scouring the internet all day for my friend..
thanks for your help.

What you want to consider is the waist width of the board, for size 16 feet.. probably want 270+ and a board 160 or larger..5150 is just fine for newbs.. Has he rented and found he likes the sport? (assuming you can you even rent size 16 board boots lol)
Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
powdergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsnowboardchik View Post
What you want to consider is the waist width of the board, for size 16 feet.. probably want 270+ and a board 160 or larger..5150 is just fine for newbs.. Has he rented and found he likes the sport? (assuming you can you even rent size 16 board boots lol)
yes, he rented and squeezed into a size 15 boot..
he really wants to do this, and i am an instructer, so he has unlimited expert lessons.

i just don't want him to get a board that he will only be able to use this year...even though he is a newbie.

but i want the board to be flexy enough so that he has an easy time learning, considering he really is handicapped with his size.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdergirl View Post
yes, he rented and squeezed into a size 15 boot..
he really wants to do this, and i am an instructer, so he has unlimited expert lessons.

i just don't want him to get a board that he will only be able to use this year...even though he is a newbie.

but i want the board to be flexy enough so that he has an easy time learning, considering he really is handicapped with his size.
lol 220 isnt that big, my ex was 6ft 6 and 220 and was pretty skinny...don't see why he'd be handicapped at all.. well when my BF learned to ride on a cheap sims board it worked out quite well, the cheap flexy boards are just easier to learn on it seems... nothing wrong with the other choices though but I think forums run kind of narrower.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
powdergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsnowboardchik View Post
lol 220 isnt that big, my ex was 6ft 6 and 220 and was pretty skinny...don't see why he'd be handicapped at all.. well when my BF learned to ride on a cheap sims board it worked out quite well, the cheap flexy boards are just easier to learn on it seems... nothing wrong with the other choices though but I think forums run kind of narrower.
thanks... i was afraid he would grow out of this flexy board, but it would be easier and more forgiving for him..
i think he should just get it.. the obviouls problem is buying the boot.that is gonns cost him.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been looking at Venture Snowboards, I only wear a 13, but they do "Wide" versions of their boards with wider waist widths than just about anything else out there (at least from what I've seen)...plus as he moves to a more aggressive stance it should be less of an issue...additionally, palmer power plates (if they still make them) will also help alleviate toe/heel drag.
Edvard_Grieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

wow that must suck trying to track down a 16 boot, i had a hell of a time just tracking down size 15s for myself.
Cant really give much advice on the boards as i havent ridden any of them, but i would suggest burton cartels for bindings, slightly soft but responsive and he wont progress out of them, their a binding he can ride from begginer to advanced.
BigC_ 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
powdergirl

thanks so much everyone..
i figure the ride path should suffice..
the k2 illusion is also a nice ine..

there is this sick 2008 LIB TECH SKUNK APE MTX SNOWBOARD 162CM WIDE ..it is now $227 with 30 s&h.. this is a great price for this board, but if it is hard to laearn on, it will suck for him..
and i was told it would be a very stiff board ..

i just spent hours looking for a size 16 boot.. with no luck.

i doubt anyone knows where to get those. LOL!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

like i said it was near impossible for me to track down size 15 boots. I honestly dont even think they make size 16, he might have to squueze into a 15. i know you can get some little thigns that fit into a shoe and can be used to stretch it out a bit, not sure if that would work on a boot but he could always try. plus if he packs down a size 15 he could fit into it pretty well probably
BigC_ 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ride makes size 16, called the "Ride Bigfoot" boot.. they are in stock at Skis, Snowboards, Wakeboards, and Apparel | evo.. unfortunately no 16's in stock only 17-22

But yea lots of comapnies make size 15's like Burton and DC, so he could pack em out or stretch em.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote