Ollies on Camrock - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Ollies on Camrock

I've been riding traditional camber forever which takes a lot of effort and timing to load up a tail, but the snap back is there.

I just grabbed my first Yes board (Big City) and its a lot of fun. But what is the best technique to get some pop out of the tail. Im just mushing this thing trying to load it like a cambered board. I can tell the tail is softer and that there must be a better way to get some snap out of it. How are you camrock riders adjusting your technique for popping a good Ollie?
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Tonic,

Rocker Camber Rocker moves the "real" contact points inwards of the wide points (by varying amounts depending on the model). It is important to visualize where the real contact point is to load the board effectively. That is the part that can be corrected. If your new deck is also softer than the old one, that is energy that the new board does not have available to offer you. Typically a move from pure Camber to RCR is relatively minor in terms of boost, so it sounds like you may be dealing with a lack of structure. This is one of the common compromises that exist in board design. You get one thing but it costs you somewhere else . The cool thing is that you usually end up making up for the differences in technique and end up a better rider for the experimentation.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So look to load up the tail closer to my back foot? Not quite sure what you are saying here.

I really roll my back ankle with a traditionally cambered board and drive the board forward. I have heard guys say they pop RCR boards by simply slapping the tail as on a skateboard.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

You just have to roll way farther back to load up the tail on a rockered deck, since your bend isn't already permanently engaged a bit, there's a delay between when you start to roll back and when you actually start loading energy.

It's definitely awkward switching between the two, but so long as your rockered deck isn't a total noodle you should be able to get plenty of pop out of it.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Aaaah, so that's the trick. I never even thought of it that way. Thanks.

Does it help to draw the tail further under your back leg as with traditional camber or will that just put off balance because the tail is softer and as you say you have to roll weight even further back towards the tail?
Old 12-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've actually never thought of ollies in that way, but yeah, you basically push the board forward relative to your hips. The key is to get your center of mass over the tail, so whatever helps you visualize that is the right way for you. Just keep experimenting with timing and you'll find the right motion.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicusa View Post
So look to load up the tail closer to my back foot? Not quite sure what you are saying here.

I really roll my back ankle with a traditionally cambered board and drive the board forward. I have heard guys say they pop RCR boards by simply slapping the tail as on a skateboard.
Yes. It is different on every board where it will give you the most energy back. With RCR the contact moves inwards towards your back foot. constant rocker is much different and takes a lot of experimentation to find the sweet spot to "push on". It varies by model and construction.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote