Battle between sticks... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Battle between sticks...

So, hi, this is my first post here

I'd like to get some feedback as to what others think about the two boards I'm looking at.

After reading through several pages I didn't see what I was looking for, exactly, forgive me if I missed it and please direct me to the proper thread, otherwise I hope this will grow and serve as a helpful thread for others trying to decide on boards, toss out your choices and let the forum guide you

May the farce be with you all

Little background about myself and winter mountain sports....I've been riding on snow since I was 4, I'm 36. I spent several seasons working at ski resorts, usually as a lift OP, and I have been a snowboard instructor. I haven't been up the hill in about 6 years, and it was a couple years before that I was an avid boarder...well, before kids and the chaos of the late twenties and early thirties.

Now that things have settled out I'm ready to commit to buying some gear and getting up there to use it and I'm stuck between two board choices...

Keep in mind my last stick was an Altered Gen Gnu 158 from 01-02...rode it 3 seasons and sold it....dumb me, that was the most awesome snowboard I'd ever ridden, and it was candy apple metallic red, oh gawd I loved that thing, called it my firestick, lol....

I digress...

I'm stuck between the Lib Darker Series and the Gnu Eco Genitics.

Both boards are awesome on paper, anyone ridden either, or last years model? I'm curious if the Eco Gen is as lively, spring loaded, poppy and light as the original?

Both boards are made by Mervin Mfg right? So aren't they gonna be pretty much the same, or are they R&D'ing separate product cores and resins, it looks like they are using almost identical materials and naming them differently....

I'm most curious if the Lib Darker Series is going to feel the same as the Gnu Eco Gen, cuz to be honest, I really like the metallic black finish and black base on the Darker Series Libby. On thing I have not been able to distinguish is if the Eco Gen has the raised box, or riser under the foot like the darker series does, that is a huge selling point to me cuz the only downside I remember to my old altered genitics board was it was fairly narrow and I would get some toe and heel drag when really layin it out, and I believe the raised box would help to eliminate that, cuz I'm not as agile as I used to be and catching toe or heel when on edge can be BRUTAL, LOL

So, please, discuss your thoughts on this if you would, I greatly appreciate it

Last edited by KillinIT; 12-16-2013 at 07:34 AM.
KillinIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

only the darker has the risers on it. (I think the landvik has them too though) Anyhow gnu's and libs are basically the same materials wise but you have to decipher all of the garbage they have on their pages to figure out exactly what is what. Find the WW of the boards and if it is in range then the heel and toe drag issue is moot and the risers are less useful. It really sounds like you want the darker and only are considering the Eco Gen because it reminds you of the board you used to love.
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, you're right. I do like the look of the Libby better, however I always felt like the liveliness of the altered gen or Eco Gen board as it is now, was directly due in fact to the new strand of genetically altered wood.

I was a libtech guy for a while and used to ride a Jamie Lynn model back in the day and actually, at the time I got to ride on one of the very first dark series boards from lib tech at hurricane ridge just outside where they used to be made.

The altered gen board absolutely slaughtered the Jamie Lynn model and I vowed to never go back, even the original dark series boards didn't compare, they had raised box tech on the dark series and that was about the best aspect of that board I remember, and I walked away thinking a raised box on the altered gen would literally make it the perfect board...

So I figured, if the new darker series was more closely related to the Eco gen, than the old dark series was to the altered gen, I'd have a clear winner...

But as it stands in my mind, I'm leaning toward the Eco gen cuz I'm pretty sure it's gonna rip, I'd like the darker series, but I won't compromise function for form, so if the Eco gen uses the better core, so be it, everything else looks identical, the bean based resin top, cx3 beam, banana core crapo, magna traction edges etc etc, I'm afraid that the Eco gen core is trade marked and patent specific and will only be found in the GNU
Old 12-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ordered the GNU Eco Genetics

Boiled down to the difference between C2 BTX vs C3 BTX, and I went with more rocker than less, and the new Eco deck is fricken cool, I love science and applaud Mervin for this newest creation, now it just needs to get here so I can Go ride

I named this thread specifically in hopes it would live on past my needs and serve others as well, maybe even be a sticky someday, there are three threads right now comparing boards....

If there was one thread that we all collectively were a part of, getting advise, giving advise and learning how to compare boards, like, what to compare and why, and direct comparisons between two similar boards, like I did above, then an end result is seen by all, and an archive can be made

This could be EPIC, a whole thread of side by sides, try and keep it comparisons between two boards only, to keep it simple, just like anything else, if there are more than two, start a new post comparing the winner from your previous comparison to the new challenger, eventually you will narrow down your dream board and carve happily ever after too....

Keep em comin people

Last edited by KillinIT; 12-17-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Tags
board comparison, board options, the right stick, which board