Quick question about bindings - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quick question about bindings

I have some Ride SPi bindings that I bought last year. I noticed last year and this season that I find it hard to, I don't know the correct term, "unbind" after riding down the mountain. I find it really hard sometimes to undo the bindings. When I was riding my friend's board, he had some Burton Freestyles that were about two years old. I found it reallllllly easy to unstrap. Like it was a hot knife to butter.

Is there a solution to this problem, or is that just how it is?

BTW, went to the mountains with him again, his Burton Freestyles are already coming loose. I don't know if this questions the quality of the Freestyles, or even if this is a variable to why his Freestyles unbind so easily, but I also see other boarders that can't unstrap super quick and easy without any hassle. Whereas, I'll stand there and try to unstrap a binding with all my force till my fingers hurt from the pressure.
DragonXero13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It's because those bindings have shitty ass ratchets on them. Ride put some proper PowerUL ratchets on the SPi this year.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

I see, does that contribute to the bindings being very difficult to unstrap as well?

Is there anything I can do to make it easier to unstrap without affecting or hindering of how strong and secure the bindings hold the straps in? (Probably rhetorical)

Thanks!

Edit- I noticed that you said that the SPi bindings, this year, have the PowerUL Ratchets. Well, I bought the SPis in 2008 so they don't have the new ratchets unfortunately.

Last edited by DragonXero13; 01-07-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Twix

I have Cartels, Missions, Ride Rx's, and a few other pairs of bindings. I can tell you that by far the Ride ratchets are the hardest to undo, to the point of frustration. My RX's are '08 so I don't know about the new ratchets that Legally told you about. I can say that after a few weeks of using them they seemed to get a little eaier, maybe just from a little bit of wear.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Try a little WD-40 on the rachet and work on your technique, I find that if I shift my foot a tad as I pull on the ratchet it makes it easier.
Jeffksf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
SnowBun

I have this year's Ride RX's and have found no problems with unstrapping
Old 01-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
shawn vidden

I also have the 08 RX's. No probs here. Be sure you are lifting up on the release lever and not the ratchet lever. If your pair is like mine there is a color release lever. By pulling it back it should release your strap no problem. I do know if you really crank em down a lot they are going to be harder to unstrap do to the pressure that your boot is exorting on the strap. If you like a stiff ride you'll like the RX's.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Its all in the technique, yes they are a little stiffer to release, but they also have bomber hold and never come loose when riding. Once you get the technique down, it is no different than any other binding
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
Its all in the technique, yes they are a little stiffer to release, but they also have bomber hold and never come loose when riding. Once you get the technique down, it is no different than any other binding
True that. I don't even know if it's technique sometimes. After I run through some powder, I feel it's stuck like a motha fuka!

Maybe I just need to find my "technique" or something ...

It just kinda blows when you're at the bottom of the lift and you're trying to unstrap one strap and its hard as hell, and some dude just flys in unstraps them with ease and there's no problem what so ever .. and gets on the lift before me .. *sad tear*

Anyways, thanks fellas!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Rossi bindings stick pretty hard- but I crank the hell out of them. Easiest way to get them loose is a good thump with the heal of my hand on the release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I have Cartels, Missions, Ride Rx's, and a few other pairs of bindings. I can tell you that by far the Ride ratchets are the hardest to undo, to the point of frustration. My RX's are '08 so I don't know about the new ratchets that Legally told you about. I can say that after a few weeks of using them they seemed to get a little easier, maybe just from a little bit of wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn vidden View Post
I also have the 08 RX's. No probs here. Be sure you are lifting up on the release lever and not the ratchet lever. If your pair is like mine there is a color release lever. By pulling it back it should release your strap no problem. I do know if you really crank em down a lot they are going to be harder to unstrap do to the pressure that your boot is exorting on the strap. If you like a stiff ride you'll like the RX's.
I saw some Ride bindings last weekend at Seven Springs. Good looking stuff. Don't mush like that cored/meshed toe strap though. How much difference is there between the RX and higher priced Ride ATV bindings (SPI/NRC/CAD)?