an agile pow board for a girl - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default an agile pow board for a girl

I am looking for a pow board for a lady,a board that is very agile, agile as in "turns easily" especially between the trees She is pretty skilled on the groomers and rides a 152cm stiff board for groomers, she is also 5.5ft and 110 lbs. She tested a burton barracuda 153 and that board was very nice handling however I am wondering if the specific pow boards would not be better for her?

by specific pow boards I mean the likes of burton fishcuit - but why does it come in such a weird size? is this not going to be too short for her? I mean the whole "Raduction" thing from burton, sounds like some marketing BS
or Burton fish - but I read somewhere on this forum that it does not turn easily?
or maybe one of the Jones boards?

Let me add that even though she rides snowboard for years and her skills are pretty good, she is not very much experienced in the pow. She normally rides her groomers board for a pow and she does it well, however I would like to make her pow riding easier and more enjoyable by using the specific pow board, Please advise
glowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I can only tell you how good the Hovercraft is on powder, even centered it floats on whatever... you set it all the way back there's no way to sink it. But then it's my only pow board.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Yeah Jones makes a womens hovercraft. Never tried either boards but everyone I know that owns one likes/loves the hovercraft.

Other thing you could do is make a swallowtail. Seems like a few hours of work to save an aging board from the dump and turn it into a powder king!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

There is no chance to test a hovercraft around here, I am not from the states However an experienced looking guy from the local store said that the hovercraft will not be easily turning, also that it needs considerable speed to feel stable, I forgot to add 2 facts into the description: she does not really ride VERY fast and she is looking at the mens boards, because for example from burton the womens offering is very limited, there are basically no pow specific womens boards from burton as far as I can see on their website
Old 12-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did she ride the Barracuda in powder?

I own one and find it to be a fabulous powder deck and ride it in nothing but. Burton pitches it as an "all around" type deck but anything from Burton with an S rocker profile ( Fishcuit included ) should be regarded as a dedicated powder board.

There is also a K2 Ultra Dream in my quiver. An exceptional powder board with a nicely balanced surfy ride about it that is a little better on groomers than the Barracuda but both have a distinct "surfy" ride about them.

If she can, she should continue to demo as many as she can, hopefully in powder, for if not, she will never know how the board rides in the element it was designed for.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

yes she did test in the powder and this is the board she is currently leaning to. There is basically no way to test anything else now, especially that there is currently very little snow

I looked at the hovercraft again, the board that was described in my local store as a board that does not turn well and the hovercraft seems to have a similar shape to bataleon cameltoe, the cameltoe which I ride and this board turns amazingly (although its a little soft), can hovercraft be compared to cameltoe in ride dynamics? if so I cannot understand why people say it does not turn, please explain to me
Old 12-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowa View Post
yes she did test in the powder and this is the board she is currently leaning to. There is basically no way to test anything else now, especially that there is currently very little snow

I looked at the hovercraft again, the board that was described in my local store as a board that does not turn well and the hovercraft seems to have a similar shape to bataleon cameltoe, the cameltoe which I ride and this board turns amazingly (although its a little soft), can hovercraft be compared to cameltoe in ride dynamics? if so I cannot understand why people say it does not turn, please explain to me
I have a H 156 and I can tell you it does turn :-) It also floats at very low speeds where I used to get stuck with my other board, not a pow specific one ( Arbor A-Frame) but still good on it, just requiring much more work than the H. which is effortless. I have no idea about the Cameltoe, but from the pics I see online has a much longer tail than the H. The H. Is also pretty good for carving on groomers ( amazingly) when the pow is gone.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The raduction in the Barracuda definitely works. I weigh 150 and ride the 53. If you're looking for it to be nimble in the trees I would strongly suggest that in the 149 or there's the Day Trader in a 150 which would also be super awesome as it could double as a decent cruising all mountain board.

For some other options look into the K2 High Lite or Jones Hovercraft women's.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton Nug/nugget/root are possibilities. Short, rockered or rockerish boards like these will turn easily and some really like them in powder.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Plenty of girls riding the salomon sick stick at the Dirksen derby this weekend. I own one myself and it's an amazingly loose and fun powder board. Pin tail surfy pow board.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote