Gnu bindings reviews? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Gnu bindings reviews?

I can't seem to find any review of the Gnu Fastec bindings. They look really sweet and I called up Gnu- they said they were very light, especially compared to the flows.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
yea4boobies

I just saw these and cant find a review either. They look like they will work a lot better than my flows now. im gonna check out my local shop to see them in person.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just did a quick google search and those things definitely look interesting. I'm not gonna be the first to take the plunge on these but look forward to a review from who ever does.

12+ years riding a plank down snow

Bataleon Evil Twin Review:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...evil-twin.html
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
yea4boobies

Ok so i bought them but i havent had a chance to take them out on the slope. what i can say thus far is that these things feel a lot more responsive than my old flows, and a lot easier to get in/out. Ill keep you guys updated when i get a chance to go out.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

awesome, definitely keep us updated
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Gnu boards are great. I don't think I'd bother with their bindings. In general, they seem real flimsy and basic. Haven't seen the Fastec in person though, so I don't know if it's any better than the other ones I've seen. Here's a video about it. Don't see much difference with this and the K2 Cinch.

http://www.youtube.com/v/GvcOl5p9_m8&hl=en&fs=1

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 02-17-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

previous fastecs were shitty SPs

the new fastecs are gnu made

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
yea4boobies

ok i finally had a chance to get out with them. but heres my little disclaimer; i've been using flows for the past 3 years and step-ins my 1st year, but i havent tried the regular 2 strap bindings.

So with that in mind, compared to the flows i had these bindings are a lot better .

Initial Setup;
  • The toe strap is fixed and there was no initial adjustment for me
  • The highback did need a little adjustment though, and this does require a philips screwdriver
  • The ankle strap can be manually adjusted by a simple clip, it seems to hold well but it did seem to loosen up a bit, but you can easily re-adjust this with no tools

Compared to my flows;
  • the highback lever is a lot easier to clip up
  • its really easy to get my boot in when the ankle strap pops up
  • the pad where the boot sits on doesn't allow snow to "cake" up on it
  • with the ankle strap snapped into place, i can get a nice tighter feel
  • still as quick as my flows

Testing Conditions;
  • i live in western NY so the conditions arent all that great,it was crappy barely groomed snow
  • my board is a 163 wide, not sure who makes it though (no label/ bought it used)
  • Burton boots
  • ME, average snowboarder with 4 years experience

Overall;
  • they felt super responsive, even though conditions sucked, it still seemed like i could turn on a dime
  • quick in and out, but i think it will take some time for me to do it while moving like in the video
  • the "relax" feature that allows you to pop up the ankle strap without getting out of the bindings is easy enough to do with a boot/hand but it still held strong and didnt do it when i didnt want it to

Conlusion
these bindings are by far the best ones I ever had (please read my disclaimer) but since ive never used the regular 2 strap binding im only gonna give this 4.5/5 rating. let me know if have anymore questions, i plan on giving long term update down the road.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yea4boobies View Post
ok i finally had a chance to get out with them. but heres my little disclaimer; i've been using flows for the past 3 years and step-ins my 1st year, but i havent tried the regular 2 strap bindings.

So with that in mind, compared to the flows i had these bindings are a lot better .

Initial Setup;
  • The toe strap is fixed and there was no initial adjustment for me
  • The highback did need a little adjustment though, and this does require a philips screwdriver
  • The ankle strap can be manually adjusted by a simple clip, it seems to hold well but it did seem to loosen up a bit, but you can easily re-adjust this with no tools

Compared to my flows;
  • the highback lever is a lot easier to clip up
  • its really easy to get my boot in when the ankle strap pops up
  • the pad where the boot sits on doesn't allow snow to "cake" up on it
  • with the ankle strap snapped into place, i can get a nice tighter feel
  • still as quick as my flows

Testing Conditions;
  • i live in western NY so the conditions arent all that great,it was crappy barely groomed snow
  • my board is a 163 wide, not sure who makes it though (no label/ bought it used)
  • Burton boots
  • ME, average snowboarder with 4 years experience

Overall;
  • they felt super responsive, even though conditions sucked, it still seemed like i could turn on a dime
  • quick in and out, but i think it will take some time for me to do it while moving like in the video
  • the "relax" feature that allows you to pop up the ankle strap without getting out of the bindings is easy enough to do with a boot/hand but it still held strong and didnt do it when i didnt want it to

Conlusion
these bindings are by far the best ones I ever had (please read my disclaimer) but since ive never used the regular 2 strap binding im only gonna give this 4.5/5 rating. let me know if have anymore questions, i plan on giving long term update down the road.
The only reason I didn't get them was because they looked cheap. And I wasn't sure the base had good dampening. How is the dampening btw?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
yea4boobies

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile00 View Post
The only reason I didn't get them was because they looked cheap. And I wasn't sure the base had good dampening. How is the dampening btw?
They do look cheap but they feel pretty solid. There are little plastic covers that are used to cover up the factory set screws and stuff.

From what I remember, it seemed to dampen vibration pretty well given the crappy conditions. I'll have to get back on it with a more in depth description. I'm gonna try to get out this weekend again.