What to look for when buying used - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to look for when buying used

I wanted to get some opinions from some of the more advanced snowboarders. What is it that you look for? Are you worried about Wax buildup on the bottom of the board? What about stickers placed on the board from previous owner? Any other "Hidden" aspects you look for besides the manufacturer and the size?
allaboutjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

check the edges... make sure nothing is blown out.

major gouges on the base. (core shots)

stripped inserts.

probably top 3
Old 12-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zk0ot View Post
check the edges... make sure nothing is blown out.

major gouges on the base. (core shots)

stripped inserts.

probably top 3
Sorry, may seem like some stupid questions, but a better informed person is one that can also send advice to people when needed.

By "Blown out" edges, are you meaning minor scuffs, or major side damage? something like what appears to be a nick on the side - smaller than a pencil eraser - good or bad?

major gouges on the base (core shots) - trying to get an idea on that one - if it is something that can obviously be felt with the finger (divit) so to speak - ok or not?

Stripped inserts is pretty self explanatory.

Sorry, I obtained some boards and want to make sure I know what I am talking about and looking for before releasing to the general public.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

small dings/scuffed edges are pretty normal. if the edges are ripped out of the board anywhere.

if you can see the wood core is a core shot.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
small dings/scuffed edges are pretty normal. if the edges are ripped out of the board anywhere.

if you can see the wood core is a core shot.
Cool, thank you! So a core shot would make a good board bad, even for a beginner? I believe I have a board with some - kind of a bummer considering it is a Never Summer Evo
Old 12-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The bad thing about core shots is that moisture can get into the wood core, making it weaker. (think of getting cardboard wet)
if theyre fixed right away theyre probably alright. but you cant trust someone else that it was ridden continuously with the core exposed.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The bad thing about core shots is that moisture can get into the wood core, making it weaker. (think of getting cardboard wet)
if theyre fixed right away theyre probably alright. but you cant trust someone else that it was ridden continuously with the core exposed.
Completely understandable. If I were to upload a picture of what is believed to be a core shot would you be able to tell?
Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

an example..

gouges are fine, as long is it doesn't fully penetrate the p-tex base... it's an easier repair.

On the edges, minor knicks and dents where you have enough material (steel) to reshapen....

In the end, if the board with its wear and tear still serviceable and useable, then you shouldn't feel guilty with selling the board.

Pretty sure if you bought a used board that was advertised to be in serviceable condition, you want a board as advertised, not some board that is beyond repairable.
tanscrazydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

That has to be the worst spot out of the 6 boards obtained. 5 Never Summer Boards and 1 Ride Board
Old 12-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

This was a really good topic since a lot of people do buy used or ask questions on here after getting hosed off ebay or CL.

I have bought several used boards all from Geartrade's Backcountry returns so usually they have full disclosure on what is wrong with the boards and with non-stock pics to boot. Prices usually reflect condition or how long it has been up for sale and they are legit with it all since they are a bigger company they don't have that motivation to sell the board at retail cost like Joe Snowboarder does who is trying to recoup purchase price on something that he bought five years ago. Ex: I got a 12/13 demo model NS Infinity $80--advertised as being ran over with skis and cosmetic damage to topsheet and several gouges in base that were repaired with ptex no core damage. Pics showed damages board rides fine.

If the board only shows stock photos obv dl from a website I would pass. You want real time pics.

Any core shot, nick, or scratch that is significant should be documented and it also helps if they provide a scale to gauge like the actual size of the damage. I would say no to anything that has exposed the core for more than $50-$70 since it might be rotted shit.

I would Google the make and model and see how it compares to actual specs. Some people try to pass off old ass beginner rental boards they got at a spring ski swap as a $500 freestyle killer.

Finally check the sellers ratings and what he has sold in the past. If you do get effed on ebay sometimes you can take action with the buyer protection or file claim with Paypal.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Fewdfreak is offline   Reply With Quote