Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Picked up a board last night (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/11263-picked-up-board-last-night.html)

hoppyumr 01-08-2009 09:38 AM

Picked up a board last night
 
As the title reads, I picked up a snowboard last night, and got a really good price on it. I wanted to see if people sometimes liked smaller boards for a bit more agility obviously trading off for stability at higher speeds.

Stats:
My wieght usually varies between 210-215, and I'm 6'2", and use a 12 boot

Board:
Burton Air 161, 24.9cm waist

There is an Air 165 out there, but the price that I picked up the 161 at was way too good (165). Anyway, I've riden a 163 Supermodel and 164 Cruzer Wide, and felt fine on both of them. Going from a 163 to a 161 doesn't seem like much of a difference to me, and the waist of the supermodel is only 5mm wider at 25.4cm versus 24.9 for the Air that I just bought. The bindings are Burton Cartels that I picked up for 65 new (another awesome price).

Aside from being slow in deeper powder, is there anything REALLY wrong with the size board for me?

ironcrosschrome 01-08-2009 09:46 AM

I am going from a never summer 171cm big guy to a never summer 161cm, im 6 2 and 225. I think it will be ok , 161 is still a good size for us big guys! I dont get to ride till april this year so keep me posted if you get some time on it.

hoppyumr 01-08-2009 09:58 AM

going to Breckenridge, Keystone, etc beginning of February. I do plan to give it a try at our local 'hill'. What width is the 161 that you are going to? Should I be worried about dragging at 24.9cm?

sedition 01-08-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironcrosschrome (Post 107021)
I am going from a never summer 171cm big guy to a never summer 161cm, im 6 2 and 225. I think it will be ok , 161 is still a good size for us big guys! I dont get to ride till april this year so keep me posted if you get some time on it.


You'll be fine on a 161, esp a NS. They tend to run a touch stiffer than most other decks, so that will help make up for some the size difference. Depending on what type of terrain you normally ride, you'll get a lot more menuverbaility out of the shorter board. You should have a lot of fun with that thing.

hoppyumr 01-08-2009 10:26 AM

Sedition, do you have any thoughts on the stiffness of the Air 161. It was much stiffer than the Bullet I was originally looking at in the 164.

tands05 01-08-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppyumr (Post 107031)
going to Breckenridge, Keystone, etc beginning of February. I do plan to give it a try at our local 'hill'. What width is the 161 that you are going to? Should I be worried about dragging at 24.9cm?

I will be at Breck on the 5,6,7 of February...See you there

sedition 01-08-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppyumr (Post 107051)
Sedition, do you have any thoughts on the stiffness of the Air 161. It was much stiffer than the Bullet I was originally looking at in the 164.

Honestly, no idea. Not that I dislike Burton, I just havn't touched one of their decks in awhile. However, it does not surprise me that the Air is noticably stiffer than the Bullet. If memory serves right, the Bullet is a "lower-end" model than the Air (correct me if I am wrong on that one). Usually the all-mountain freestyle decks (i.e. the air) that are on the "higher-end" tend to be a bit stiffer. Usually this is because the more expensive decks tend to be for more "experienced" riders, and thus a touch stiffer.

hoppyumr 01-08-2009 10:37 AM

Hopefully you wont find me as the one with my face flat on the ground... It wasn't that way last year (not that much anyway).

tands05 01-08-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppyumr (Post 107060)
Hopefully you wont find me as the one with my face flat on the ground... It wasn't that way last year (not that much anyway).

Actually that will be me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2