Big and Tall - Beginner - Board to Buy - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok here we go, some basics.
(Disclaimer, I'm 38 and been boarding for 4 seasons, now at intermediate level. Haven't tried a lot of hardware but tend to read a lot about boarding and watch the budget closely.
There are guys here way way better qualified at giving you hardware related advice, aka what to buy. I'm sure some will improve on my writing)

First off all start with buying your boots, try a lot, buy something that fits snug and without heel lift. Shitty boots is having a bad time riding. With our weight stay away from Boa laced boots, our weight/ force can pop them open under pressure. Also when u start with boots u can fit them into some decent bindings.
Found a post by Poutanen that explains it very clear.

Poutanen:
Boots are the make or break item. Try on a million pairs of boots (hopefully with a GOOD shop person to help you) and go for the ones that fit the best, not the ones with the best features. They should fit snug, sort of like skates, instead of more loose like winter boots. Everybody I know that's gone from a bad fitting boot, to a great fitting boot has had a big "AH HA!" moment with snowboarding (myself included).

When shopping for bindings remember to never buy the low end of the line from any brand. Like I said before, Burton cartels or missions (one level down from cartels) are a safe bet. Also Union bindings are very good value, forces or a step up. Union has a member here on the board, search for union in house. Good guys. One thing is their nose strap is/was a bit sticky. Aka hard to get off. I've cursed em a few times hehe. Supposed to have improved it on the 13/14 models.

Then the boards, first thing is to search for the thread called: rocker, camber and everything in between and read page one. This will explain the different profiles of the board undersides. Up to 2008 or something like that everyone was on a camber board. Then came lib tech with the skate banana. This had the banana aka rocker underside. Last few years you can find any sort combined. I went from a traditional camber board to a rocker, camber, rocker profile.

As for sizing I'm going to borrow the text below from miss neni:

Originally Posted by neni
Just a general (I don't know this specific board) remark that might clarify, why ppl recommend the shorter one: given you're in the weight range of two different board sizes, it'll depend on what you aim to ride and your level, which size you choose. In general, the longer one would have a better float and more stability at high speeds. The shorter one will be easier to handle, easier to turn. Which one you choose, is a trade-off between disadvantages and advantages.
Now, an advanced rider into speed or riding deep pow would probably choose the longer one, since he'd have the experience to back up the more challenging handling but could exploint the advantages, while an inexperienced rider wouldn't expoint the advantages and just would have to fight with the disadvantages.

Stance is something u can search easily. Pure duck stance is -15 back and +15 front. For me this doesn't feel quite right on the back foot. I went with -10 and +18. Duck is meant for riding both ways aka switch.

Take from all this what u want, cheers.

Last edited by cozmo; 12-20-2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: added Poutanens boot comment
cozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvw View Post
I can't imagine Rome 390 bindings holding up well to a big guys like this. Mine was falling apart in only half a season and there's no way I can exert close to as much force as someone who's 6'5"/245lbs (for reference I'm only 5'7" @ 170-180lb, intermediate weekend warrior rider, nothing crazy). I would imagine something built a bit more stout would be advisable, like something from Ride or Union or something else.

Go in to a board shop, tell the salesman to just let you be and just closely look at their bindings yourself and take your time - you can sort of tell which are built more durable. Make sure to look at the straps and mounting disk and carefully compare (for example I can post a picture of a Burton disk vs my Rome and the strength between the two is blatantly obvious). If you want canted, most Ride bindings have it and I believe Union Factory has canted footbeds now and look and feel solid in hand. In all fairness, I haven't gotten a chance to closely inspect 2014 Rome bindings yet so things could be improved. Don't get me wrong, they perform well but just don't last. Just my opinion. Good luck!
I have 10-15 days on mine and they seem to be holding up ok. Maybe you got a lemon... or maybe i got a good pair...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hey All,

So I ended up getting a 164.5 cm Travis Rice Lib Tech Pro C2 BTX 2013 for $280.00 from someone needing to leave the country brand new in the packaging. I think this is a hell of a deal thoughts ?
mitch_flaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Wow great deal! Heard nothing but great comments about Travis Rice.
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Great deal on a great board. C2 is probably my favorite profile I've tried for most resort riding. Only way that could be better is either:

A) free
B) it comes with a babe to ride (with)
C) Horsepower version
D) any combination of A, B, and C but preferably all of the above.

You'll like that board a lot. Libs work really well in the mountains out west and they're a great company. That's a board you'll be able to ride until it dies and you'll rarely be limited by it.

I would reccomend you become well familiar with your foot size (length and width) and then buy a boot online if you can. I know I have trouble finding 13's and ended up having to go to Seattle to pick up my DC T Rice boots since nobody in Vancouver or Whistler really has anything other than a couple pairs of Burton's in my size. Most shops here kinda stop around 11-12. I'd reccomend getting a decent boot now if you can then moving on to bindings.

Most bindings in the largest size available from their respective decent brands should fit. I'm never even on the largest sizes for the straps on my bindings at only one size smaller, and I've even rode an ancient pair of size 14 boots. These were from before boots had shrinkage tech that made them have a smaller profile on the outside while still being the same size on the inside. You might even be able to find a deal on some used binders in your size. I'd sell you a pair of mine on the cheap if half of them weren't broken! I'm not quite as big as you (only 6'3" 210 lbs ) but I still know what it's like to be stuck with the big boys toys.

Before you know it you'll be a shreddin' Skunk Ape, proud to the bone!

Last edited by destroy; 12-24-2013 at 03:38 PM.
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big guy, bindings, boots, snowboard, tall