Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Short girl board recommendation (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/112841-short-girl-board-recommendation.html)

flips712 12-18-2013 10:55 PM

Short girl board recommendation

Hi,

I need some help choosing a beginner all-mountain board please.

I'm a female, 4'll height and weigh 105 lbs. Boot size is 6 or 6.5 women USA. I live in Florida and have only been on 3 snowboarding trips so I'm definitely still a beginner.

I need a board with a small stance width as my shoulder to shoulder measurement is about 13 to 14 inches. The rentals I've had included a Burton LTR 134, Burton Cruzer 134, and a Salomon Mini Drift Rocker 135. I have a pair of S/M Rome S90 bindings that I'd like to use.

Any thoughts on these boards?

Nitro Desire 138
Is their Gullwing technology too advanced for a beginner?

Rossignol Tesla CYT Amptek 136

Lib Tech Lib Ripper BTX

Ride Rapture 138

Head Stella Rocka Just Ink 139

GNU Danny Kass Mini BTX 135

Never Summer Onyx Mini 136

Roxy Inspire BTX 134

K2 Kandi 134 or 137

Salomon Lotus 135 or 138

GNU B Mini BTX 134

Rossignol Myth Amptek 139

Thanks in advance,
Pauline
flips712

chronicsmoke 12-19-2013 07:56 AM

I looked for quite a while at boards for my GF who has very similar stats as you and I ended up finding a V-rocker burton Lux.

I think you'd like the gullwing camber by Nitro, it's the same concept as the v-rocker on the lux. Easier to turn and harder to catch edges.

Ride rapture is a nice soft board too.. I havent seen any other you listed in person to offer an opinion.

Optikal_Illuzion 12-19-2013 10:58 AM

I have a "gullwing" board as well, actually probably more of a RCR profile but catching an edge is hard. Most of those boards seem to have that profile, which is great for beginners. I learned on a cambered board first though so I didn't develop bad habits.

Might I suggest to find previous years board models to save you money since you are still a beginner? And I hope it's okay to say this (only because I had such a great experience buying from them) but Wiredsport has some great boards and warranties on their boards. I bought the Camp Seven series female board.

flips712 12-19-2013 11:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the Camp Seven boards have a narrow enough stance width. I'll probably need a kids/junior size board as I'm pretty petite with short legs.

Optikal_Illuzion 12-19-2013 12:11 PM

Fair enough. But they do make them in the shop there. Maybe you can put in a special order ;) haha

EDIT: No where on the site does it say anything about stance for those boards. It won't harm you to contact them, they even frequent this forum! And the system ones have positive reviews as well. Just sayin'

poutanen 12-19-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips712 (Post 1352633)
I'm a female, 4'll height ***snip*** I need a board with a small stance width as my shoulder to shoulder measurement is about 13 to 14 inches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips712 (Post 1353977)
Thanks for the replies. I don't think the Camp Seven boards have a narrow enough stance width. I'll probably need a kids/junior size board as I'm pretty petite with short legs.

How are you measuring stance width? FWIW I ride about 2" wider than my shoulder width (but I have big shoulders relative to my leg size). I imagine even a petite person would want something in the 17-19" stance width.

For example (not that this is an ideal board for you), the Prior Brandywine 147 has an available stance width of 17-23", and is designed for riders 80-130 pounds. Also remember that Burton Channel boards allow you to go crazy with your stance width options.

Most board companies advertise the "reference" stance width which is a starting point for the average person in the centre of the boards weight range. Most/all boards have another set of inserts towards the centre, allowing you to go with a really narrow stance width.

I wouldn't use the shoulder measurement though. I'd stand on the floor in an athletic stance and measure the centre-centre of your feet. Use that as a rough starting point.

THIS is an athletic stance:
http://extremebballskills.com/wp-con...tic-stance.bmp

This is NOT (in relation to snowboarding):
http://basketbolegitim.com/wp-conten...e-stance-3.jpg

flips712 12-20-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optikal_Illuzion (Post 1353729)
I have a "gullwing" board as well, actually probably more of a RCR profile but catching an edge is hard. Most of those boards seem to have that profile, which is great for beginners. I learned on a cambered board first though so I didn't develop bad habits.

Might I suggest to find previous years board models to save you money since you are still a beginner? And I hope it's okay to say this (only because I had such a great experience buying from them) but Wiredsport has some great boards and warranties on their boards. I bought the Camp Seven series female board.

Love your avatar! Funny you should mention Wiredsport. I actually ordered a board from them but ended up shipping it back to them because the even the smallest stance width felt too wide for me. And I agree 100% they are super nice people at Wiredsport!

flips712 12-20-2013 08:23 PM

Good info about how the manufacturers list the stance width. I have a local Peter Glenn shop nearby and one of their snowboard staff guys took some measurements including my shoulder to shoulder width. He also measured me while I stood on a board in an athletic stance. Although he said I could get away with a wider stance of 17-18, due to my size a stance width of 15-16 would be ideal and probably more comfortable.

I really don't care if I buy an older model board as long as it is a good fit. Since I want to use my new Rome S90 bindings I don't think they're compatible with any Burton boards. However, if need be I can always sell the bindings and buy new ones.