Help choosing new board... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Default Help choosing new board...

First I'd like to say thanks to anyone who helps me decide what new board to purchase.

I'm using points I get from work to purchase a new snowboard, however I don't have access to all snowboards for purchase but the supplier is big, so many recommendations I'll be able to order.

That said. I'm 6'3", size 13 boot, ride a 12/-12 stance (don't know how wide but it's normally in the middle), and my weight can vary from 215-230 lbs.

I love camber snowboards, and didn't like the 2010 NS Legacy RC tech at all I owned (felt sketchy at times while bombing), and I didn't like the 2011 Ride Machete either (bombing felt fine, but I didn't like the lack of pop out of turns). Prior to that rode a Lamar KJ Lite 162, which I still use as my "rock" board.

Most of my riding will be on hard pack to ice on Southern California groomers, and I'm an intermediate rider, I like to ride fast. I am a beginner when it comes to jumping, spinning, and sliding. I'd like to work on riding switch this year, and 180's.

I tried to get a 2014 Capita NAS 163, but they only had a 160 wide. (maybe I should have just got this one?)

I'm looking for something in a 162-163, with a waist width of 260+. I'm not against trying a hybrid camber/rocker again, but I definitely want something that rides mostly like camber (good edge hold, stable, pop, can bomb, not loose).

I'm looking at a Burton Custom 162 wide (camber), Rossignol Templar Magtek 162 wide, Libtech Darker Series or GNU Riders Choice.

Any other suggestions, or input regarding the above boards?

Thanks.

Last edited by Lightningsloth; 12-20-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added some choices of boards
Lightningsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Riley212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Seattle
Posts: 870
Default

out of those 4 the Burton Custom or the lib tech darker would be my choices, and i would choose the darker series out of those two because i like magnetraction and have ridden the darker series enough to know that it is good for goin fast.

But from what others have said the custom would be a bit better all around board if you wanted to do more freestyle riding.
__________________
Dude, suckin at somethin' is just the first step to bein' sorta good at somethin'
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
out of those 4 the Burton Custom or the lib tech darker would be my choices, and i would choose the darker series out of those two because i like magnetraction and have ridden the darker series enough to know that it is good for goin fast.

But from what others have said the custom would be a bit better all around board if you wanted to do more freestyle riding.
Thanks for the reply. The MOST freestyle I can see myself picking up this season is small 180's front side / back side. And maybe some easy boxes. No rails, no buttering, no big air.

If this isn't too difficult on the darker series, I'm almost sold on it. I mostly prefer carving, riding fast, going through trees, powder if it's there. Small jumps.

I've read on this forum some people don't trust "the good ride" reviews, but they have a video review of the darker series and they rave about it. Plus I've seen pictures of it, and it looks like it's about 90% camber shaped, with only a very small rocker in the middle.

How fast edge to edge would you say the darker series is compared to other boards you have rode?

Last edited by Lightningsloth; 12-20-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Lightningsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Riley212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Seattle
Posts: 870
Default

I dunno, as fast as i want it to be I guess. Thats a weird thing to ask, I think edge to edge has a lot more to do with technique than the board. I never felt like the board was holding me back from going faster and turning quickly.
__________________
Dude, suckin at somethin' is just the first step to bein' sorta good at somethin'
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowDogWax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slip Fusion, PA
Posts: 776
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Well here my two cents$$ I'm 6'3" 230 lbs.
Board on the IceCost
Last Year hung out on a SkunkApe.
GNU Riders Choice a full day 20+ runs
Now
Templar 159W which I mount with bindings 15-15 duck centered no setback and use as my fun board.

Rossi 161W OneMag is my all mountain board.

Love the RCR profile with the camber between the bindings. Stable and fun to ride.

Riders Choice to much rocker. SkunkApe not as stable at high speed as I would have liked.

Custom I never really looked at.
Dark series is CRC but not as rocker dominant and is similar to SkunkApe.
Templar is my call but the Rossi OneMag would be better.
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
I dunno, as fast as i want it to be I guess. Thats a weird thing to ask, I think edge to edge has a lot more to do with technique than the board. I never felt like the board was holding me back from going faster and turning quickly.
Probably true that with the correct technique for any board it can be quick edge to edge. I just felt like no matter how much I rode my Machete that it wasn't as easy to pop in and out of a turn as a normal camber board. That's why I was wondering.

Thanks.
Lightningsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDogWax View Post
Well here my two cents$$ I'm 6'3" 230 lbs.
Board on the IceCost
Last Year hung out on a SkunkApe.
GNU Riders Choice a full day 20+ runs
Now
Templar 159W which I mount with bindings 15-15 duck centered no setback and use as my fun board.

Rossi 161W OneMag is my all mountain board.

Love the RCR profile with the camber between the bindings. Stable and fun to ride.

Riders Choice to much rocker. SkunkApe not as stable at high speed as I would have liked.

Custom I never really looked at.
Dark series is CRC but not as rocker dominant and is similar to SkunkApe.
Templar is my call but the Rossi OneMag would be better.

How would you compare how the Rossi RCR profile rides compared to a camber board? I'm really looking for the snap out of turns and edge hold at high speed that camber affords. I liked on my Machete the playful/forgiveness of the rockered tip and tail, and I imagine the Rossi feels similar in that regard. I just didn't like on the Machete that it was flat between the bindings. I felt like it made the board feel slow edge to edge.
Lightningsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowDogWax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slip Fusion, PA
Posts: 776
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Templar holds a good edge has some snap. The OneMag is a slightly stiffer board much better at higher speeds & holds a great edge. Rossi OneMag rides just like a camber board without the negative consequence of a camber due to rocker at the tip and tail.
OnMag wants to go fast it just needs a rider.
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDogWax View Post
Templar holds a good edge has some snap. The OneMag is a slightly stiffer board much better at higher speeds & holds a great edge. Rossi OneMag rides just like a camber board without the negative consequence of a camber due to rocker at the tip and tail.
OnMag wants to go fast it just needs a rider.
Thanks, just what I needed to know.
Lightningsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Riley212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Seattle
Posts: 870
Default

If you have access to rossignol boards that's what I would go with too. The one mag fits you better than all the ones you listed and will be more fun for learning tricks and stuff than the dark series
__________________
Dude, suckin at somethin' is just the first step to bein' sorta good at somethin'
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums