To tune or detune my deck - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default To tune or detune my deck

Hi there!

I bought this Burton stick Superhero 151, which is a flat based board with slide of rocker at the ends.

I'm riding both groomers and park most likely groomers when I'm with my GF and park when I'm with friends. It's mostly bigger resorts around Europe when there's a lot of snow so I'm not feeling much of ice on my laps.

Therefor should I detune my deck a bit and where? At the ends only or all edges?
I like hitting the park but I would like to avoid taking an edge on a rail but still to keep a bit of control while riding down the groomers with my GF.

Thanks!
MenzelMorten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I tune pretty heavy between my feet and on the nose/tail past the effective edge. I detune lightly from outside my feet to the end of the effective edge.

You might wanna be carefull with your effective edge though... once you do this ice will fuck you up lol... your only hope is to flat base it until your in some softer shit, I stay to the sides in heavy traffic areas.

All in all I prefer it though, I've ridden this way for a long time. Honestly the only thing good on ice is razor sharp edges and good technique but I hate catchy sharp edges like that so I rely extra heavily on good technique haha.

Last edited by Casual; 12-19-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

what you can do is bring it to a shop with your GF and tell them to tune it with a 3 degree base bevel with your GF.

that will keep the edge sharp but give you some more play on rails...
OR...

you can take a file to it with your GF. lightly roll the center between bindings. that will leave your contact points grabby but leave the "boardslide zone" less hooky with your GF.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
I tune pretty heavy between my feet and on the nose/tail past the effective edge. I detune lightly from outside my feet to the end of the effective edge.
This might be a stupid question but on a board like mine with a flat base between the bindings where is the effective edge? Isn't it the whole edge?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zk0ot View Post
what you can do is bring it to a shop with your GF and tell them to tune it with a 3 degree base bevel with your GF.

that will keep the edge sharp but give you some more play on rails...
OR...

you can take a file to it with your GF. lightly roll the center between bindings. that will leave your contact points grabby but leave the "boardslide zone" less hooky with your GF.
You're funny. Don't know if you're talking shit or being serious on your advice here. But thanks anyway.....
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenzelMorten View Post
This might be a stupid question but on a board like mine with a flat base between the bindings where is the effective edge? Isn't it the whole edge?
Effective edge is the part of the edge that contacts the snow during a turn.
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ya thats true, but the more critical parts are the contact points closer to the nose/tail. You will feel it between the bindings if your trying to carve hard on really hard pack/icy shit but if your contact points still have some hold your gonna be ok.
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
Ya thats true, but the more critical parts are the contact points closer to the nose/tail. You will feel it between the bindings if your trying to carve hard on really hard pack/icy shit but if your contact points still have some hold your gonna be ok.
Great! I'll have it detuned a bit between the bindings then and leave the contact points to the nose and tail as they are
Thanks a lot!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Great! I'll have it detuned a bit between the bindings then and leave the contact points to the nose and tail as they are
Thanks a lot!
I would follow zk0ot's advice and check the bevel. Usually de-tuning is something you do on the tip and tail contact points.
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're funny. Don't know if you're talking shit or being serious on your advice here. But thanks anyway.....
alittle of both.