Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Goggles: Smith I/O vs Electric EG2 vs ? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/11342-goggles-smith-i-o-vs-electric.html)

Edvard_Grieg 01-10-2009 02:31 AM

Goggles: Smith I/O vs Electric EG2 vs ?

Hi,

I'm in the market for some new googles...I've currently got a pair of Smith Prodigys, that generally work pretty well, but honestly the lense is too dark, and sucks for flat light and worthless for night time.

Since I'm CO, we do get the full gambit of weather (and at times in a single day)...so I have a few options...get new lenses for the existing frames, or get all new goggles.

The additional requirements are I have a larger/wider face, so I don't want foam in my eyes- heh; and fogging can be a big issue for me, so really good anti-fog is important.

I tried a pair of Oakley A-Frames and frankly just wasn't impressed...more so with the anti-fog aspect than anything.

So with all of this information, I'm liking the Electric EG2s and the Smith I/Os (I tried them on and size is fine).

I don't mind spending the money if it's a quality product, and does an awesome job.

From my understanding, the Sensor Mirror and Ignitor Mirror that come with the I/Os are excellent lenses, and it seems like they would cover most any condition between the two of them. Is this correct?

Additionally, I've looked at a Rose lense for the EG2s.

Now from a price perspective, just buying new lenses for my Prodigy's is obviously the cheapest option (I was thinking Ignitor and Sensor, but open to other options)...then it would be buying the I/Os at about $140ish...and then the EG2s would be more if I need to buy another lense

Please let me know your thoughts...admittedly, I'm a little biased towards Smith, just that they're what I've owned in the past, and I've generally been really happy with the way they hold up, and that they don't fog much in general.

If there is a 'universal' lens/color etc that handles absolutely everything, let me know too! :)

Thanks!

Extremo 01-10-2009 04:44 AM

I was wearing 2 pair of spy soldiers. One with a dark mirror lens, for bright sunny days, and one with a bronze lens for low light conditions. I bought the EG2's with the silver mirror lens and it isn't close to as dark as the Spy's dark lens so I can wear it in many more conditions. I haven't had to pull out the low light spy's since I've had them.

legallyillegal 01-10-2009 10:58 AM

Smith's Sensor Mirror is the ultimate do-everything-all-day-and-all night lens.

jmacphee9 01-10-2009 11:41 AM

the i/o's are pretty sweet looking too lol..

Edvard_Grieg 01-10-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legallyillegal (Post 108016)
Smith's Sensor Mirror is the ultimate do-everything-all-day-and-all night lens.

Even for bright sunny days? If it really is *that* versatile, I may just order that for my prodigy's- thoughts?

legallyillegal 01-10-2009 04:04 PM

It's not the greatest for a bright sunny day (but it's not like you're looking through a clear lens).

If your typical riding day goes from 9-3, then go with Ignitor Mirror.

Edvard_Grieg 01-10-2009 04:23 PM

Eh- it varies, and more often, I'd like to do night skiing, or there gets to be cloud cover/flat light....will the ignitor handle that? or too dark?

legallyillegal 01-10-2009 06:45 PM

Ignitor Mirror will be too dark for any real night riding.

Nivek 01-10-2009 09:38 PM

I'd go with the I/O's. I had Electrics before and they fogged too much. I don't have experience with Smith lenses though so can't comment on that. I have two pairs of Anons and I really like them. My Figments have a red solex and its awesome for every light condition. And I've had nothing close to the anti-fog of Anons.

Tuan209 01-10-2009 11:17 PM

are the I/O's larger than the Prodigy? Looking for some goggles and cant decide.