Any opinion- Capita NAS vs Burton Custom X? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any opinion- Capita NAS vs Burton Custom X?

After riding a flat to rocker board last season I now know I am a camber man. I have narrowed it down to these two boards- they both are traditional camber and I have seen online videos of riders doing anything I would ever want to do including banked slalom, kickers and half pipe. It looks like the NAS is going to run a bit less $$$. Does anyone have any pros or cons for one over the other?

Thanks guys!
TheUltimateStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You aren't going to have any fun on that Custom X unless you are a monster of a rider. It's so stiff and free ride oriented that it's difficult to spin on and I found it not acrobatic at all. The old custom with the narrow waist width (now the restricted) is a much more fun jump and pipe board for the normal shredhead.

That NAS looks great though. It has a sintered base this year. I looked at one in the local shop and it's well made. I'm not crazy about the super long effective edge, I know how to hold an edge and I prefer something a little more forgiving for spins and jumping (not so much effective edge). But I guess the sidecut could make it all come together.

Has anyone ridden the 2014? I'm thinking about grabbing one from the DFUNK.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah- both boards claim to be around a 7 on the stiffness scale. The main reason the Custom X made my list is because that guy Ryan is such a stud while riding them. I do wonder if it might be a little less forgiving though which I wouldn't want necessarily.

Here's Ryan buttering it up: Breck Peak 7 fun in 1 inch pow - YouTube
Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateStud View Post
Yeah- both boards claim to be around a 7 on the stiffness scale. The main reason the Custom X made my list is because that guy Ryan is such a stud while riding them. I do wonder if it might be a little less forgiving though which I wouldn't want necessarily.

Here's Ryan buttering it up: Breck Peak 7 fun in 1 inch pow - YouTube
He's riding a Custom, not a CustomX. Pretty different flex between the two.
nsrider121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateStud View Post
The main reason the Custom X made my list is because that guy Ryan is such a stud while riding them.
Yeah I'd probably give the bloke a reach around for good measure. Pretty sure he's riding a regular Custom in that vid, although I've seen him riding the Custom X and throwing it around just as well.
hardasacatshead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsrider121 View Post
He's riding a Custom, not a CustomX. Pretty different flex between the two.
Oi! Beat me to the punch.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh wow I'm glad you pointed this out! I've been doing so much research the boards are getting mixed up in my head. So basically the X is a stiffer version of the regular Custom? So how would the regular Custom be different from the NAS? I am a bit scared of a board that is too stiff- would the NAS be too unforgiving?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

As far as I know the X is a stiffer, more aggressive version of the Custom. I rode one in Whistler for a bit last season and it's a hell of a board.

I haven't ridden the NAS so I won't comment on the differences but it looks fucking sexy that's for sure. I like it.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had the exact same question a while back. From what I can tell, on paper the boards have practically the same shape, twin flex with a bit of setback, and sintered bases. The only difference I can come up with is the the X is going to be substantially lighter and probably have more pop and rebound. That all gets chocked up to the core materials, the X seems to have a much higher quality core than the NAS, which also explains the price difference.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It doesn't sound like you've been riding too long, and its a really common phase after riding for a few years to buy something uber burly like a Custom X. We've all done it. But the reality is that if you're going to ride camber you're going to want a medium flex board like the Custom, K2 Believer, all the classic park&mountain boards. Anything beyond that in stiffness becomes no fun unless you're riding super pipes and hitting 50 footers which "almost" no one is. Go mid flex so you can progress and get more out of your riding. A CustomX just makes it harder to do all the tricks you're impressed by. That kid can throw down on any stick because he's at the level of a pro rider.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burton, camber, capita, custom, nas