First Post... with goggle questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Will.I.Am

Default First Post... with goggle questions

well i went for my first snowboarding trip last week. i bought myself a 09 flow merc 156 with flow flite 2 binding and head boots size 9. im 5'6" and 150 lbs. i love the board, looks cool and actually got a couple compliments about it. but now im going again next week and need to order some gear. goggles. i ride PA, and prolly some NY if that makes a difference. ummm my friend swears by oakley but i know from racing four wheelers that sometimes the specialty companies make nicer products. so im looking at electric eg's. i dont like the way the eg2 looks. too big dont want to stand out too much. being im still new. but im debating between eg1s or eg5s. i like the white frames. once again. something simple and not too stand out.

also how do we feel about Columbia jackets and pants? just always wore it.

Thanx, Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

oakley makes great goggles, I recommend the oakley crowbar, nice wide field of vision, you can get them on sale for under 75 dollars at BackcountryOutlet.com: Your Source for Skiing, Camping, Hiking, and Backpacking Gear from K2, Salomon, The North Face and they have interchangeable lenses in a wide variety of colors. You can find just the right lenses for what kind of riding you do.

And i'm not a fan of columbia stuff, but if it keeps you warm and dry then wear it.
Gnar_DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I wouldn't recommend Crowbars if you want wide-fitting goggles and/or goggles that don't stand out.

Go for some Smith Phenoms or Prodigys instead.

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 01-10-2009 at 02:27 PM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

white frames simple goggles
Gnar_DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnar_DUDE View Post
And i'm not a fan of columbia stuff, but if it keeps you warm and dry then wear it.
columbia makes really warm stuff usually, not your typical snowboard gear though. it should work fine though
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.I.Am View Post
also how do we feel about Columbia jackets and pants? just always wore it.
Thanx, Will
You can't get a much better bang for your buck than Columbia, if you're NOT boarding. If you are boarding, you're going to want something much more specialized. Try 686, Sessions, Oakley, Special Blend or Arc'teryx. The high-end Burton stuff is good too, even tho I find they are sorely lacking in pockets. I'm sure there's plenty more sportswear makers that I'm not listing, but the examples go on and on. If you're serious about boarding, it's worth the extra money for good gear. If you get cheap stuff, you'll just find you'll either want to replace it or have to replace it before long, and that adds up to more money than just getting the right stuff to being with.

EDIT: More importantly, try whiskey militia, steep and cheap, and tramdock for the clothes.. they're practically giving that stuff away.

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 01-10-2009 at 04:43 PM.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

EG1S's for sure. Theyre still wide but not super huge like the EG2's (which I wear). I was torn between the two because of the same concerns.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

I love my Spy Soldiers with mirrored bronze lens for most use. I got a clear mirrored lens for overcast and night but I'd rather have some rose lenses or something like that. Either way the Soldiers are wicked.
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
You can't get a much better bang for your buck than Columbia, if you're NOT boarding. If you are boarding, you're going to want something much more specialized. Try 686, Sessions, Oakley, Special Blend or Arc'teryx. The high-end Burton stuff is good too, even tho I find they are sorely lacking in pockets. I'm sure there's plenty more sportswear makers that I'm not listing, but the examples go on and on. If you're serious about boarding, it's worth the extra money for good gear. If you get cheap stuff, you'll just find you'll either want to replace it or have to replace it before long, and that adds up to more money than just getting the right stuff to being with.

EDIT: More importantly, try whiskey militia, steep and cheap, and tramdock for the clothes.. they're practically giving that stuff away.
Every company has cheap stuff. You tell him to get something more "specialized" (wtf does that mean anyways) than Columbia, but then go and suggest Arc'teryx.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

I agree.

I actually like the Columbia gear. Their Titanium jackets are nice, and I've never been anywhere that I've actually cared about having the mack daddy, ultra insulated gear. Then again, I walk barefoot in snow and don't notice so I might be biased toward cold weather...

That said, 686 definitely has some really nice gear. But so does Spyder, but how many people on boards do you see rocking Spyder? It's better than most "specialized" board gear, that's for sure.

If it fits, keeps you warm and dry and is comfortable I say it's good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
Every company has cheap stuff. You tell him to get something more "specialized" (wtf does that mean anyways) than Columbia, but then go and suggest Arc'teryx.
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote