So I'm Thinking about starting a low-key snowboard company - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyre View Post
I would also like a job haha. Before you jump all over him ahve you thought that maybe he has done most of that stuff Monekyspunk? Your making an assumption and jumping all over him. I think it's a great idea. Competition is what makes industries and sports develop and thrive. With no competition we are left choosing between Windows and Mac (I for one prefer Linux lol but beside the point).
Because if he really was in a position to start a board company he wouldn't be worried about naming the damn company first and would be giving a powerpoint presentation to potential investors or business loan officers in large corporate board rooms and not hitting up an internet forum for pats on the back.

Again, I applaud your drive, Johnny. And free advice is that slow and steady has a much higher chance of working than busting out on the scene like you own the joint. You think you're the first guy who wants to do this? Who wouldn't want to design and test boards for a living? It's getting paid to play. You'll just be the snowpunk startup of the week if you go into this arms flailing. The business will eat you for breakfast.

Study hard, work hard, be creative, grab the bull by the horns, move up the ladder, and one day with a bit of luck, you'll reach your dreams... That's what's great about living in the US, despite the wealth of other problems that come with it.

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 01-10-2009 at 09:41 PM.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sno-bored

dude you should sell boards not make them. all you need to sell boards is:
1. A lease for a sick shop in a killer location.
2. Buy boards in bulk from major companies.
3. Lots of employies
4. a business loan of course.
5 and you can even get a francise licence from a company like peter glenn making operation much easier.

well that not all you need but it'd be much easier than making boards
Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

You need to know something before you can open a business designing and developing expensive products. It's not like you're knitting sweaters or mowing lawns. I guess my first question is what do you already know about making snowboards?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have a few innovative ideas in my head that no company has ever done before. Being a mech engineer and designer I definitely have a drive of being innovative, as far as doing a company coming from a racing background fabricating and welding everything from ground up I will say you better take some heed to Munky's advice. However 14 years or whatever is exaggerating. If you have drive, and some talent, and connections particularly for people you will need on board to help do each of the jobs required to put together a great board it can be done I'd say 2-3 years tops, to get moving. But then again that's based on my experience that is likely having a lot more under my belt so that is what I feel could be done anyhow personally if I were to do such a thing. If you're starting out with zero experience, in anything, the least you can do is get contacts with other people who would be interested and know what their talking about and so forth whether in marketing, design, fabrication, accounting, etc.

If you come up with a idea that hasn't been patented, even better. Basically get the rights to it, and no one can lay a finger on copying the design until years later, but it has to be THAT different to set itself apart from other designs whether it be the board, bindings or whatever. Key areas are, passion for the company, a unique concept that only your company would have, customer support and prototype testing with potential customers to represent the board (no one famous, just local kids) and listening to their feedback and SUPPORTING them. I cannot say enough about the last one, without customers a company will fail to exist, without supporting them it will backfire instantaneously especially when starting out local.

Screw being normal

Last edited by Vlaze; 01-11-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have a name

"Another failed 16 yr olds dream, boards"
Dawg Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

As much as it may be for someone of young age, unwillingness to try is already defeat.

If you never try, you never fail. This is why 99% of people never go after dreams or are driven, fear of failure. Don't be afraid to fail, but be ready to learn from it when it occurs.

Screw being normal
Old 01-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaze View Post
As much as it may be for someone of young age, unwillingness to try is already defeat.

If you never try, you never fail. This is why 99% of people never go after dreams or are driven, fear of failure. Don't be afraid to fail, but be ready to learn from it when it occurs.
+999999999999
Old 01-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I think you should go for it. Even if the product isn't high end and innovative, if you market it right you'll pick up the people that would never utilize a high end board to its full potential (or even half for that matter) The reality is the beginner intermediate market is what drives the industry. Capture that audience and you can be successful.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'll give you basic tips from concept class back in college. Do surveys, they're worth their weight in gold getting customer feedback for what they want and would like to see on the board. Basically people who love snowboarding and obsess about it have ideas that one may not of thought of by themselves as the old saying goes, two heads are better than one. And they'll give it to you because most are not trying to work for a company nor start one up and they just want to dream about how awesome a board could be if it has this this and this. That's free design ideas right there. They'll also have negative and positive feedback on the board they are riding and/or have ridden. You will need some experienced riders to get that kind of feedback who actually have an idea what the board is doing and have ridden enough boards to get an idea.

Don't limit it to one or a few people because they can easily have bias feedback on what brand they chose or their style of riding. Don't do paper surveys, no one cares to sit down when shredding on a mountain to fill it out, chances are they'll stuff it in their pants and wipe their rear with it and hand it back to ya. Just conduct friendly straight to the point questions on the lift out of curiosity like do they like flex or stiff, all mountain or freestyle, cost vs quality, durability vs performance, etc so forth.

Screw being normal

Last edited by Vlaze; 01-11-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Not sure what your current financial situation is, but you will most likely need "seed money" to get this company going if you want to be serious. Once you price out supplies, marketing budget, etc. you will see the $$ that family loans you will probably not cover it (unless you have the rich uncle). If your over 18, you can look to get a small line of credit with a business loan but the underwriters will expect that you have a well-developed financial plan that includes projected profit/expenses, etc. Lenders ideally like a minimum of 3 years of tax returns in the business but if your starting out, then they typically focus quite a bit on how much experience you have in this line of work and you better make sure you have good credit!
Starting a company during a recession, crazy! Getting told no from everyone, painful! Chasing after your dreams, PRICELESS............
coffeenirvana is offline   Reply With Quote