Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   So I'm Thinking about starting a low-key snowboard company (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/11365-so-im-thinking-about-starting-low.html)

ineednewst00f 01-10-2009 08:16 PM

So I'm Thinking about starting a low-key snowboard company

Call me crazy, but I'm young, and restless, and an aspiring businessman thinking of trying to start a small snowboard company in one of the worst financial recessions the U.S. has ever faced. So far, I have nothing, but hey Burton started with nothing as well as every oither snowboard company out there right? This is probably the stupidest idea I have ever come up with, and I'll repeat my opening line, call me crazy, but my undying love for this sport has called for me to give the sport something in return.
My first question, any ideas on a name? PM me or post here with any ideas or advice for me. Godbless.
Johnny

MunkySpunk 01-10-2009 08:42 PM

OK you're crazy.

Hi, my name is reality.

What? Are you going to make these in your basement? Isn't your mom gonna get pissed?

I applaud your drive, but get your foot in the door before you go knocking down any walls. Do you know anything about making snowboards? Laminates, fiberglass, composite technology, solvents, p-tex, epoxies, wax, metalwork, math, chemistry, mechanical engineering, materials engineering, physics, data gathering, analysis of said data.

Not to mention getting a business loan and starting a real, legal business? A cool company name does not even a crappy board make, much less a good one.

If you're making your own boards, then you've gotta have much more than the drive and a dope-sounding company name - plant your nose in those hard sciences books and keep it there for about 14 years. That's how I got my job. If you're going to just buy OEM boards, slap pretty graphics on it and push it out the door, then what sets you apart from the million other cheap board makers?

Maybe apply for an internship at a pre-existing board factory, spin it into a job, go to college, move to R&D and get lots more experience.

mtmgiants 01-10-2009 08:42 PM

BfB (boards for boarders)
or BbB (boards by boarders)

idk all i could think of

Grizz 01-10-2009 08:43 PM

Huge props if you can make it work. In my home town 2 small snowboard companies have gone under or stopped building boards. It's cool you have the balls to put yourself and your $$$$ on the line. You could be successful but as you already know the odds are not in your favor. Best of luck.:thumbsup:

I've always felt Coelacanth would be a great name for a board brand or metal band.:D

Gnar_DUDE 01-10-2009 08:52 PM

RuggedŽ Snowboards

lonewolf99701 01-10-2009 08:54 PM

well before jumping in head first you need to think way before names, you need to know what your working with, your technology etc. etc. like MunkySpunk said. But You also need to think of what you can offer with your boards. Kinda like a car you need a concept before you build it. Maybe even some new sort of technology to add to your board that you and some friends would need to test before offering them for sale. Magnetraction, ICS, Rocker tech all of these had to be tested pretty thoroughly before being offered to "change the world of snowboarding". A big imagination comes in very handy as well. Best of luck to you and get to the drawing board. Once you have a great concept then get to thinkin of a name.

kocka3 01-10-2009 08:58 PM

props

munkyspunk has a point, theres a crapload of tech in making a half decent snowboard these days, & you would most likely need alot of space, i dont think its impossible though.

check some snowboard making forums, pick some stuff up, try a few times, but dont go and get yourself bent on the idea your gonna be a success.

im pretty sure Atrophic would be a badass name.

PopN 01-10-2009 08:59 PM

can i have a job?

Psyre 01-10-2009 09:20 PM

I would also like a job haha. Before you jump all over him ahve you thought that maybe he has done most of that stuff Monekyspunk? Your making an assumption and jumping all over him. I think it's a great idea. Competition is what makes industries and sports develop and thrive. With no competition we are left choosing between Windows and Mac (I for one prefer Linux lol but beside the point).

lonewolf99701 01-10-2009 09:22 PM

Thats kind of what I was saying, just to think of what you can provide that other companies can't or haven't yet...