Grade my setup for someone new - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grade my setup for someone new

Hey, fellas! After many years I am hitting the slopes again after an almost 10 year hiatus Went to a local Ski Resort about 20 mins from my new town I moved to and snowboarded w/ my buddies. I had past riding experience during my early teens but gave up my hobby and moved on. Well I hit the slopes again and was instantly hooked again! Needless to say we left at 9:30 pm and by noon the next day I bought myself a board from good ole' CL. I am 6'2 and 170 lbs, and I got a SIMS Wrath 155cm, which may be too small? Not sure. After looking up SIMS boards it appears they have gone downhill since I rode back in the day when SIMS was a very reputable brand in the late 90's and early 00's. I couldn't wait and I hit the slopes with my new board, it almost felt like I didn't have great control over my board but like I said I only had a few hours w/ it. I left the resort a little disappointed and I adjusted the bindings and spread them out. The kid I bought it from couldn't be any taller than 5'10 and I rode his setup. I went home and moved the bindings to about 22in apart and it has me in more of an athletic position with my knees bent more, and I also moved the bindings to 18 degrees front and 15 in the back with the bindings in a "duck position". Do you think that these settings will help me have better control of my board? Or is SIMS just a POS and I need to get another board? My biggest issues was carving, it seemed like Id slice too much and almost eat it. Im hoping my bindings will have a huge difference next time I hit the slopes which will be next week. Thanks and sorry for the newbish rant I assume the only way to truly find out is to ride again but any advice setting up will be appreciated.
DODGE SRT-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjason View Post
what do you mean by having no control? what part? edge or basing?
Edge mostly, I feel like that when I carve I may be slicing too deep and ate it a couple of times, like I said its a new board to me and I know its not a top of the line board, I am hoping that re-mounting my bindings would help, I had the board for a couple of hours and rode this kids setup who was probably 4 in shorter than me, I since adjusted them
Old 12-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGE SRT-4 View Post
Edge mostly, I feel like that when I carve I may be slicing too deep and ate it a couple of times, like I said its a new board to me and I know its not a top of the line board, I am hoping that re-mounting my bindings would help, I had the board for a couple of hours and rode this kids setup who was probably 4 in shorter than me, I since adjusted them
board length is based on weight mostly.
carving I would bend your knees and squat a bit deeper so you have better center of gravity.
although according to their website the Wrath for 2014 is a flat-rocker board. idk if it can affect carving.

Last edited by speedjason; 12-23-2013 at 03:37 PM.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd say it's probably not the board or bindings as I can carve just about any board with edges
Zolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolemite View Post
I'd say it's probably not the board or bindings as I can carve just about any board with edges
I plan on taking the board to my local shop to be re edged, maybe thats an issue, and once again I apologize for being a nube! haha
Old 12-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjason View Post
board length is based on weight mostly.
carving I would bend your knees and squat a bit deeper so you have better center of gravity.
although according to their website the Wrath for 2014 is a flat-rocker board. idk if it can affect carving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolemite View Post
Both of these. At 170lb you are on the upper end of the weight range for that board which can make it more prone to washing out. Additionally, a flat rocker profile gives the board a "looser" feel. (looking at specks for a 2014 154 Wrath)

Does that mean you need a new board? No, its just more important that you use proper form now to hold an edge. Had a ~170lb guy and ~155lb guy riding 130something Burton Minis at the mountain yesterday, so you're not bad off.

As for your stance, that is just something you will have to experiment with until you find what works for you.
Banana12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

C+
..... 10char