[Beginner] Buying a snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default [Beginner] Buying a snowboard

So I have rented a couple times but I still consider myself a beginner although I know how to ride and all the basics. I was wondering if you guys could give me some links to good some good sites to buy boards/whole package deals from.

I found this site is it good at all? On Sale LTD Quest Snowboard w/ LTD LT25 Bindings Black up to 60% off board-binding-package-0527

Also Im size 9.5 do medium binding works?
TedBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBundy View Post
So I have rented a couple times but I still consider myself a beginner although I know how to ride and all the basics. I was wondering if you guys could give me some links to good some good sites to buy boards/whole package deals from.

I found this site is it good at all? On Sale LTD Quest Snowboard w/ LTD LT25 Bindings Black up to 60% off board-binding-package-0527

Also Im size 9.5 do medium binding works?
Welcome to the forums TB. I read your other thread.... you will be better served spending the money on lessons than gear at this point. Get the basics down and figure out what type of riding you like.... then buy gear.

(Lessons will pay more dividends in the long run than gear will right now)
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jer View Post
Welcome to the forums TB. I read your other thread.... you will be better served spending the money on lessons than gear at this point. Get the basics down and figure out what type of riding you like.... then buy gear.

(Lessons will pay more dividends in the long run than gear will right now)
Yeah I was thinking this as well but just thought this was A REALLY good deal and shouldnt be passed up. But you guys are the pros and I trust you (:
Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The most important item to get is a pair of boots that fits you properly. Don't get fixated on brands...try a bunch on and spend time at the shop with them. Every foot is different, so get the brand that works best for you. Also invest in better insoles...there are a few posts on here about them that you may want to read. Good luck! This forum helped me get started out a few months back...you're in good company.
DevilWithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

1) I'd recommend private lessons over group lessons.

2) Boots should be your first purchase. Don't go cheap. Go to a store and try on as many as you can. Foot pain or heal lift = no good.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilWithin View Post
The most important item to get is a pair of boots that fits you properly. Don't get fixated on brands...try a bunch on and spend time at the shop with them. Every foot is different, so get the brand that works best for you. Also invest in better insoles...there are a few posts on here about them that you may want to read. Good luck! This forum helped me get started out a few months back...you're in good company.
Yeah man hopefully this forum takes me as far as it took took you. It seems you know a lot now. And also im not to caught up on brands I dont really know any I just want to be comfortable and not have to rent everytime.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
1) I'd recommend private lessons over group lessons.

2) Boots should be your first purchase. Don't go cheap. Go to a store and try on as many as you can. Foot pain or heal lift = no good.
Heel lift? Meaning your heel feels a little high?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBundy View Post
Heel lift? Meaning your heel feels a little high?
No. Meaning your heel is loose in the boot and slides or "lifts" up when you are on your toes. If your heel lifts like that, you will have a harder time initiating, getting/staying on your toeside edge for turns etc.

Your heel should pretty much remain locked into you boot as you transfer from heel to toe.

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
No. Meaning your heel is loose in the boot and slides or "lifts" up when you are on your toes. If your heel lifts like that, you will have a harder time initiating, getting/staying on your toeside edge for turns etc.

Your heel should pretty much remain locked into you boot as you transfer from heel to toe.
Oh okay cool understood. I dont really know of any snowboard shops where I live in SOCAL though. So this should be tough. I guess the next time I go up to big bear ill figure all this out?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

If you are really interested in learning basics. If you want to get the most out of what this forum has to offer and take utmost advantage of the knowlege it's members have? You need to do a little research and reading up on stuff so we're not explaining every little basic term/technique/premise. There's a lot you can do to help educate yourself in this area.

Go to Wiredsports home page and check out their "Fit Guides." They explain a LOT that you need to know to get outfitted properly. Also, this link will explain a Shitload of terminology and board tech. to help you get up to speed on what it is the guys and gals here are advising you about.

http://http://www.trusnow.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40125

That's a lot of reading and info to digest, but once you have read it all, you will likely have a clearer idea of the questions you still need to have answered.

Hope it helps.

....and YES!!! Get lessons! Best early investment you can make!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote