Please Help Asap: Legal To Have Boards Out Of Car Window? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
sepandee

Default Please Help Asap: Legal To Have Boards Out Of Car Window?

I know this topic doesn't belong in this thread, but I'm in a rush and need to know the answer ASAP and this forum is the most active of all the other ones. Sooo...

My friend's van doesn't have winter tires, and it's snowing like crazy here. So it would be smart if we went skiing tomorrow in my car. The problem is, the only way I can fit 4 people and 3 boards is to have the boards standing vertical in the back seat, with the top portion of the boards sticking out of a window (upwards, not towards the other lane!). Do you think the cops would stop me for this??

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 02:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
DanDaDuck

I doubt it. I see people carry much larger things, like drawers, like that.
This is one opinion tho
Old 01-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

actually in most states it is illegal to have things sticking outta sun roofs. just like you cant stand out the sunroofs in limos in vegas anymore legally. so to answer your question no it would not be smart to go skiing in your car if you are hauling snowboards. You do have a trunk dont you?
Dawg Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
sepandee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher View Post
actually in most states it is illegal to have things sticking outta sun roofs. just like you cant stand out the sunroofs in limos in vegas anymore legally. so to answer your question no it would not be smart to go skiing in your car if you are hauling snowboards. You do have a trunk dont you?
Yup, but it doesn't fit in a regular trunk.
And the stupid back seat is designed in a way that all of it bends down. The last car I had I had the option to bend down only the middle section or the whole thing.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

to be honest if you really have to post on an internet forum about transporting boards this way you already know its not a good idea so i would opt against it. see if there is a shuttle bus to take or take the van snow doesnt stop a good driver.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
sepandee

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and I asked both the OPP (Ontario Police, which is the provincial police and equivalent to the state police) and the Toronto police and they both replied, with some hesitation and a tone that implied 'wtf, why are you calling me at 3:52AM to ask such a dumb question?' that it's OK. Actually, my question was 'is it illegal?' and they both replied "not that I'm aware of."

I'll take my chances. Should be safe.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

oh you are from canada? well you should have said so shit of course its okay. hello in a country that can be overtaken by someone with a can of hairspray and a lighter driving with boards hanging out the window is more then okay its probably encouraged. haha just playing.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
jimmerjammermrk

Probably not, but I might take my chances depending on how far I had to go.