Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Board Stance (angle) ? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/11401-board-stance-angle.html)

maxpayne 01-11-2009 03:18 PM

Board Stance (angle) ?

Hi i have been renting snowboards all my life and now i am actually buying one... i assumed the stance on the rental boards are always +15/-15 angle now that i actually going to own a board i was just wondering is there any cons to riding a board 15/15 ? or is the angle purely personal preference ? i occasionally like to ride switch and i am an intermediate to advance boarder

thanks for any reply

Jenzo 01-11-2009 03:25 PM

Cons: Not as easy to be aggressive on the carving
Pros: Easier to ride switch and do switch tricks

steiner 01-11-2009 07:46 PM

of coarse preference is the name of the game but the standard breakdown:

ANGLES
+15/0 (alpine) for beginner and free riders, not many tricks

+15/-15 or greater angle (duck) switch riders and park

+35 or more/+25 or more (downhill) speed/slalom

SPREAD
Narrower - more control turning on the slopes
Wider - More control landing tricks

Gnar_DUDE 01-11-2009 09:37 PM

well ride it and bring a screwdriver and change it up throughout the day and see what feels best, 15/-15 is a good starting duck stance if your doing some park and like riding switch its a pretty good start. Just fine tune it to your likings, most people have one binding set a little different from the other, so experiment and see what works for you.

Phr34k 01-11-2009 10:13 PM

steiner, you're correct for the most part of your post, but there are a few kinks in there regarding angles and stance names:

forward: both bindings have positive angles, but nothing too extreme. EX: +21/+6, or +15/0.
duck: bindings are in both positive and negative angles. EX: +18/-6, or +15/-15.
alpine: both bindings have extreme positive angles, moreso than a forward stance. usually you won't use this setup unless you're riding an alpine board.

hope that helps clear things up a bit :D.

maxpayne, i would go ahead and do what others have suggested in playing around with your angles. you don't HAVE to be duck to ride switch; doing so just makes things easier, since you're not going down the hill backwards. if you only occasionally ride switch and don't do much park, give +18/-6 a try and go from there. it's more of a laid back duck stance so you'll be somewhat direction oriented still, if that makes any sense. i have my bindings set to those angles and i mostly freeride with the occasional jump or ground trick. it's all based on preference.

maxpayne 01-11-2009 11:48 PM

thx all for explination and suggestions i will try different angles but from what you guys said angles will constantly change pending on what i want to do with my board.... if want to learn free style then i change it back to 15/15 if not then i can try other angles...

thx for the response guys

jyuen 01-12-2009 01:10 AM

the extra wide stance also makes your board more buttery..
also it helps to push your bindings back as opposed to having a balanced stance if you find that you are getting stuck in powder

jimmerjammermrk 01-12-2009 03:30 AM

I've been experimenting with 9/0, but don't really recommend it. The classic stance is +21/+6, and I'll probably be going back to it.