High back rotation question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default High back rotation question

So I have my high backs rotated so they are parallel with my board, but when I add some forward lean, the high back is about .7 cm away from the heel cup. If I take away the forward lean, it fits in the heel cup perfectly. So I guess my question is, should it be adjusted taking the forward lean into consideration, or is it ok that there is about .7 cm of space in between the high back and the heel cup when I add in forward lean?
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

.7cm seems like a lot tobe giving up for one increment on the forward lean adjuster. What kind of bindings do you have?
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
.7cm seems like a lot tobe giving up for one increment on the forward lean adjuster. What kind of bindings do you have?
It's like 4 increments on the forward lean adjuster actually. I have k2 Auto bindings and I have the high backs 4 notches forward and the high backs parallel to my board. If I adjust the high back to fit perfectly in the heel cups with the forward lean in consideration, I can't push the heel back forward to the binding when I want to collapse the bindings.

So... ideally, are the high backs supposed to be perfectly parallel to the board?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The highbacks are supposed to be in whatever configuration you feel like.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Highback rotation is a matter of personal preference. I don`t use any becuase I like the highback to be aligned with my leg rather than the board`s edge. However you adjust them there is not right/wrong way.
Rotating it parallel with the board is supposed to give you more precise heel-side response. I had mine angled parallel to the board and it worked out very well...problem being is that I can't collapse the bindings very well for storage.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

they cant fit like they normaly would if you did not rotate them.. since you rotated them they are now parallel with the board... as you can probably see it when you lay your highbacks flat for storage.. if they ran at the angle of the base they would not be parallell with the board correct?

overall... this is normal dont worry
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCboarder View Post
they cant fit like they normaly would if you did not rotate them.. since you rotated them they are now parallel with the board... as you can probably see it when you lay your highbacks flat for storage.. if they ran at the angle of the base they would not be parallell with the board correct?

overall... this is normal dont worry
I know it's normal, it's just kind of unfortunate. In all of the tutorials, it is recommended that you rotate your high backs to align in parallel with the edge of the board for more precise heel-side control. The problem is that binding manufacturers only really design bindings to collapse if the high backs are in-line with the whole binding.

I wonder how most professional freestyle riders rotate their high backs?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile00 View Post
I wonder how most professional freestyle riders rotate their high backs?
yea that interests me as well, its probably out there somewhere.
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

it should still colapse down all the way. (at least mind do) and the top of the highback is running parallell witht he toe edge... but it does not fit perfectly into where you lay your foot

i may be incorrectly interpereting what you are saying and im sorry... can you insert a picture?

Last edited by NYCboarder; 01-15-2009 at 11:44 AM.
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCboarder View Post
it should still colapse down all the way. (at least mind do) and the top of the highback is running parallell witht he toe edge... but it does not fit perfectly into where you lay your foot

i may be incorrectly interpereting what you are saying and im sorry... can you insert a picture?
I was just commenting on how when I store my board somewhere, I can't collapse the high back downward as far as I would if the high backs were parallel with the base plate, rather than the toe edge. I'm just being picky, it's no problem with my riding.

however, I did find a problem with my adjustable high backs that I may post pictures of and talk about in a separate thread. Basically if I rotate the high backs to be parallel with my toe edge AND I push them all the way back into the heel cup (with forward lean already figured in) it eliminates the ability to adjust the high back on the fly, which is a bummer. This is because if you adjust the forward lean after you set the high back fully into the heel cup, you'll always have a gap.