lib tech hot knife. vs neversummer ripsaw. vs jones mountain twin - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default lib tech hot knife. vs neversummer ripsaw. vs jones mountain twin

Hi all,

I bought a neversummer evo before and though I will spend more time in the park, but I was wrong... most of my friends would just stay on trail and hit park maybe 2 or m laps a day, I am not not young enough to practice all the tricks....

So I start looking for a more all mountain board to ride in the east(icy) coast, and also can ride in the park for some small feature. I originally have hot knife and mountain twin in my mind, but when I see the ripsaw, it seems it is very similar profile as the hot knife, same MSRP and 2 year more warranty...

is there anyone who can give some suggestion, I will be very appreciate.
ttccnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

A friendly tip, the ripsaw and anything from lib are going to have very contrasting camber profiles. Libtech boards usually have all rocker or camber with a bit of rocker in the center, but the tips are still touching the ground. The ripsaw has so much rocker in the center that it lifts the tips off the ground and rests on the base when it's sitting flat. So the similarities on paper aren't even just cosmetic differences when you actually set the boards next to each other, they're very much different boards.

Not to say the Ripsaw isn't what you're looking for, but you might want to do some more research before you decide.

I've lined up the mountain twin as my next board, just gotta be able to pay for it. If you want some similar boards, you can look at the ride machete GT and the rossi jibsaw. Both boards have almost identical feature sets to the mountain twin. But they lack direction flexes as far as I can tell along with a handful of other features, worth a gander. The jibsaw is about $80 cheaper and if you poke around you can find last year's machete GT for around $400.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Sleep Shred View Post
A friendly tip, the ripsaw and anything from lib are going to have very contrasting camber profiles. Libtech boards usually have all rocker or camber with a bit of rocker in the center, but the tips are still touching the ground. The ripsaw has so much rocker in the center that it lifts the tips off the ground and rests on the base when it's sitting flat. So the similarities on paper aren't even just cosmetic differences when you actually set the boards next to each other, they're very much different boards.

Not to say the Ripsaw isn't what you're looking for, but you might want to do some more research before you decide.

I've lined up the mountain twin as my next board, just gotta be able to pay for it. If you want some similar boards, you can look at the ride machete GT and the rossi jibsaw. Both boards have almost identical feature sets to the mountain twin. But they lack direction flexes as far as I can tell along with a handful of other features, worth a gander. The jibsaw is about $80 cheaper and if you poke around you can find last year's machete GT for around $400.
Not Tryna be an ass but there is a lot wrong with this post. Mervin makes almost every camber profile known to man. The ripsaw has a lot more camber, much flatter rocker zone and pretty pronounced contact points. And by saying the machete and jibsaw are similar to the Twin is basically like saying any all mountain board is similar. Yes Greats is easily the most similar board and you can find 2012 and 2013 models online for much less than $400.
nsrider121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

With "NS" in your name I'd assume those aren't your personal initials, not saying I think you're biased, but I think you're biased. Take a gander for yourself, food for thought...

One quick look at the ripsaw's contact points and you'll see they aren't even touching the table. While the C3 even doesn't look like it has any rocker, just a bit of flat section underfoot.

* Photo cred to NS reps.

Last edited by Eat Sleep Shred; 12-27-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wow great photos. C3 looks like regular camber to me. I guess we are lucky that all these snowboard companies experiment so much. They're like winemakers.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Sleep Shred View Post
With "NS" in your name I'd assume those aren't your personal initials, not saying I think you're biased, but I think you're biased. Take a gander for yourself, food for thought...

One quick look at the ripsaw's contact points and you'll see they aren't even touching the table. While the C3 even doesn't look like it has any rocker, just a bit of flat section underfoot.

* Photo cred to NS reps.
First off if you could explain to me how I was biased that would be great. Second your photo does nothing to disprove my point about the ripsaw. I never said c3 had lifted points or that the ripsaw didn't. You said all libtech boards have contact points which touch the ground, this is wrong. You made it sound like the ripsaw had some huge banana in the middle, which it doesn't. Once you step on that thing and load the camber those point are going to drive hard into the snow. The whole point of rc tech, or an early rise tech such as on the Twin, ripsaw or jibsaw is to lift the contact point and create a less catch free ride.
nsrider121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Gotta agree with the nsrider here, as this sounds inaccurate:

Quote:
Libtech boards usually have all rocker or camber with a bit of rocker in the center, but the tips are still touching the ground.
That's essentially saying all lib makes is full banana and C3, which isn't the case. They have profiles up the yin yang. They have a lot of diff profiles.

Also, isn't the Machete GT a real burly board?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd like to own both of those boards. I can imagine they both have their strong points.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lib TRS, Gnu Rider's Choice, Smokin Awesymmetrical, NS SL or Proto HD.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Gotta agree with the nsrider here, as this sounds inaccurate:

That's essentially saying all lib makes is full banana and C3, which isn't the case. They have profiles up the yin yang. They have a lot of diff profiles.

Also, isn't the Machete GT a real burly board?
Reckon I could've worded that a bit better, but my point stands as far as the Hotknife goes. I didn't really mean to address all other libtech boards as far as being rocker/camber, what I meant was that since Neversummer has a patent on their particular c/r/c, you aren't going to see anything quite like the ripsaw from lib.

The MGT was tuned down a little bit this year (went from a 7 to a 5 on the "Feelometer"), but even in the past I understand it broke in pretty quick and developed some play after a week or so. Can't say its going to be much tougher than a Mountain twin or other semi-freeride oriented freestyle deck.

As for you, "nsrider121," chill out, one of us is wrong, It's probably me. But this discussion isn't even addressing the OP, I just wanted to clarify the difference between the ripsaw and the hotknife. Leave it at that.

Last edited by Eat Sleep Shred; 12-28-2013 at 12:55 PM.