Board for petite woman...newer version of ride promise? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board for petite woman...newer version of ride promise?

Hey guys, I'm a beginner boarder who wants a board that I can grow with. I've been riding a Siren and I'm more than ready for a new one.

I read that the Ride Promise is a good board for smaller riders but since it is a past season board, I can't find it. Does anyone know if Ride has a newer version of it? Or maybe there's something better out there.

I'm up for other recommendations too. I'm 5'4" 110 lbs. I just ride at the resorts, and that's all I plan to do.

Like I said, I'm willing to spend the money to have a board that I can handle and easily turn with, but isn't too soft for when I advance in skill level.

Thanks for your advice!
Swimqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Never Summer Onyx 143, Arbor Poporazzi 143, Capita Birds of a Feather 144
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those.

Why do you recommend the Onyx if it has a flex rating of2? Wouldn't that be way too soft to grow with? Just wondering what would be good about it despite the rating.

Thanks!

Nevermind...I was looking at the mini board. Do you think a 3 would be good for me for a while?

Last edited by Swimqt; 12-27-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My gf is similar to you in size, so when looking at medium flex products, I tend to go with the softer side of medium vs. the stiffer side. A chick that is 5'4" 140lb, for instance, will flex a board quite differently. You could also look at the NS Infinity, Arbor Eden, Capita Jess Kimura if you want the next step up in each of their lines.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with all of Triple8's recommendations.

I'm also 110 lbs., and actually a bit shorter. I handle a 145 NS Infinity just fine, so if you're a bit taller, it might be even easier for you (in terms of foot spacing). They also have a 142 NS Infinity. The Infinity will be stiffer than an Ollie Pop.

Never Summer snowboards are great all around snowboards, although they tend to be on the heavy side.

Arbor snowboards are lighter, but they don't have hybrid camber. Still, I find that they're rocker profiles aren't overly done, and they handle really well. So snowboards like the Arbor Poporazzi are really awesome.

There are also some GNU/Roxy snowboards you might like. I would stick to their C2BTX snowboards (hybrid camber). The Roxy Ollie Pop 141 might be good. The GNU B-Pro C2BTX 146 is probably a tad too long and stiff (yeah, I said it....) for a beginner though. GNU/Roxy/Lib Tech are made by Mervin, and they don't have too many 'all-mountain' options for petite women.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the Infinity and I think this confirms it.

I was looking at the sizing guide and was leaning towards the 142 since it is heavier, but it sounds like the 145 will be the way to go.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimqt View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the Infinity and I think this confirms it.

I was looking at the sizing guide and was leaning towards the 142 since it is heavier, but it sounds like the 145 will be the way to go.
142 might be better though. I can ride 145, but I've been at it for awhile. In the end, the difference probably isn't so huge. Also, what's your shoe size?
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Resident poet

Since ur starting and at 110# go with a 142. After u get skillz ride whatever. The most important thing is get out there as much as possible.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ok...then I'll go for 142, thanks!

I have a size 6 foot.