Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   First snowboard... (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/11439-first-snowboard.html)

rohanman 01-12-2009 01:03 AM

First snowboard...

I'm in the market for my first snowboard. I just started boarding a few years ago and have been snowboarding about 10 times in the past two years. I ride greens and blues and the rare black, I guess I would be an intermediate rider. Im not really into the terrain park too much. By the way im 5'11 and weigh 145 lbs (I know, I'm skinny and have small feet). What should I be looking for in a snowboard? Do I need a narrow board bc of my smaller feet, and if so how narrow? What length? etc....

thanks

Dawg Catcher 01-12-2009 02:17 AM

boot size would help rather then saying you have small feet. find something freeride/allmountain ride society is a somewhat balanced board.

jimmerjammermrk 01-12-2009 03:03 AM

Normally you'd want something pretty stiff for a freeride/all mountain board, but if you've only been snowboarding 10 times you might want to look into something a little bit softer. A softer freeride board or one geared more toward being a true do-it-all board will probably serve you well as you work on developing your skills in all areas. In other words, you probably don't need an ultra specific board to get better. For example, if someone has been snowboarding 10 years and mostly freeriding, they aren't going to want a medium stiffness board, do-it-all board for freeriding, because they are capable of outperforming the board. I'd suggest something right in the middle because you probably won't be able to out-perform it, and it will allow you to work on both freeride and freestyle skills.

LittleG 01-12-2009 03:30 AM

For bindings I would recommend

Rome Targa Snowboard Binding from Backcountry.com

For snowboard I would recommend

Never Summer Heritage Snowboard from Backcountry.com

Im the same height, weight and skill as you. These are what I've found, they are more freeride biased though so if your looking for more park oriented gear I wouldn't recommend this combo.

Edit: For length go with the 158 and again if your wanting to hit the park a lot this is far too big for it.

rohanman 01-12-2009 11:06 AM

my bad i meant to give my boot size, i wear between an 8 and a 9 in a boot

rohanman 01-14-2009 12:33 AM

anyone have any board suggestions now that you know my boot size?

thanks

cky4skater 01-14-2009 04:38 PM

look into lib tech they are ahead of the curve in snowboards and never summer is also a good brand but as for length i would go with like a 154-156 becuase it's based more so on your weight than your height..and a 158 is a pretty big board for someone your size..hence if u like riding pow and just freeride then yeah u could pull off a 158 but if u wanna dabble in the park go smaller so a meduim range of 154-156 sounds good to me but everyone will say somethin different...peace

markee 01-14-2009 05:34 PM

It's really preference. I'm the same weight (145), and I usually ride 153 all-mountain, but I'm getting into park features and now ride my 151 Jibpan.

rohanman 01-14-2009 08:24 PM

another question, given my smallish feet (8 or 8.5 boot) would i need to worry about getting a board thats too wide? Any advice on what width would be appropriate?

Thanks

cky4skater 01-15-2009 03:30 PM

well there really is no reason for u to buy a wide board being u dont have big feet hence thats why they make wide boards...just stick with a regular non-wide board and u should be fine. i ride a 152 with 10.5 boots and it seems to work fine being its not a wide board.