Under Armour range - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fuse

Default Under Armour range

I've been looking at getting some Under Armour gear for when I go to Val Thorens, France in March. It gets pretty cold up there so I'm told as it's one of the highest resorts in Europe (resort 2,300m, highest station 3,300m).

As I'm in England there's not too many places that sell UA stuff and I've not found anywhere that does the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 range of base layers. My question is, is their normal range of Cold Gear, i.e. the Blitz Mock, Metal Mock, Longsleeve Crew, etc. going to be up to the job, or is this stuff really designed for less cold activities like football, rugby or the like. For snowsports do I really need to be getting the Base 1.0/2.0/3.0 stuff?

Any comments welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

i wear the UA cold gear stuff and its real good. Im not sure on the ratings though? I have the full pants and mock long sleeve. Last weekend it was like -10 wind chill and it handled it fine.
jaybap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

NikePRO Cold Gear is cheaper and does the same job.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've worn UA cold gear for both football and snowboarding. It keeps you completely warm and I've found it to be waterproof while snowboarding. I actually got a little hot while wearing it for football. I'd say a sleevless cold gear shirt would be nice for football.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
fossilX

UA and nike make great products, go with the nike and save up to 50%
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have Nike ColdGear base layer pants. I get pretty toasty at the local mountains but they peak at 1400m, but im pretty sure they'd be comfortable at ~2000, but 3300m errrrr dunno.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fadeaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
I've worn UA cold gear for both football and snowboarding. It keeps you completely warm and I've found it to be waterproof while snowboarding. I actually got a little hot while wearing it for football. I'd say a sleevless cold gear shirt would be nice for football.
I completely 100% agree on that one
Old 01-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
steiner

tight fit cold gear will keep you warmer than loose fit.

i have a lot of UA and nike cold gear equip for boarding, mtn biking, and sports when i used to play.
UA has the best fit on tight cold gear. if you go loose fit, it doesnt matter what you get so save some money and get nike. UA does not rate their equip with the 1.0, 2.0 etc but they do indicate what gear is for the coldest conditions and whats for the severe weather. I suggest research on the UA home page, then order what you want from gobros.com or somewhere that will ship it to you quick and has competitive prices

PS im from baltimore so i usually stick with UA stuff (home of UA)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about UA being water proof seeing it has to breathe to wick away moisture to help keep you warm. However, for a liner I swear by it for the chest and leggings with a coat and snowpants over it. For the mask I have to say I'm pretty let down by it trying it a few times so far this year. It gets wet from the moisture easily even if no snow touches it. My brother noticed it was damp all along from under my nose to my cheeks (and no I didn't suck or lick or get saliva on the mask) so I was pretty stumped as to why it was doing that. Although it still shields me from an artic blast, it getting damp kinda defeats the purpose for me.

Conclusion: UA Cold gear in general is good enough, base gear 2.0 or 3.0 if you want warmer. If you're looking for a mask or neck warmer, I'd get something more solid to keep you warm. UA cold gear does good for liners keeping you warm, but for exterior wear I'm not sold on it.

Screw being normal
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Cold Gear is waterproof. I don't know if it is marketed as such, but I have boarded with a UA hood in pouring rain and been bone dry underneath.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote