Equipment advice for giant - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Equipment advice for giant

Hi guys and gals,

Question. Although I have had quite some experience before my current boarding break of about 4 years I'm not exactly up to date on the latest gear. I currently have a 2001 Burton Seven (162cm) and Salamon boots that are comfy as can be. Oh and I'm pretty sure I lost my bindings

Thing is though, I'm 6ft7 and about 220lbs so apart from that causing spectacular crashes every now and then it also poses a bit of a gear issue. I have a bit of toe drag on my current board (probably heel too but don't notice it that much).

So for the actual questions :

- Can anyone suggest a (wide) board that's a bit more freeride than my current one? I'm not gonna do parks anymore at the risk of breaking my back a couple of times over (I'm officially 30 now, and thus, old).

- Can anyone with feet as large as mine (11) suggest some good bindings or will any large size binding do these days?

Cheers!
remonvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by remonvv View Post
- Can anyone suggest a (wide) board that's a bit more freeride than my current one? I'm not gonna do parks anymore at the risk of breaking my back a couple of times over (I'm officially 30 now, and thus, old).

- Can anyone with feet as large as mine (11) suggest some good bindings or will any large size binding do these days?

Cheers!
There's a million threads on suggesting wide freeride boards. I think there's actually been two or three in the past week. Just browse through the last few pages of the "General Equipment Advice" thread titles. Everyone's going to suggest a Neversummer, probably a Titan TX (which I have, it's a great board) or Legacy, or a Ride Yukon, Donek Sasquatch..etc..etc. The list of good wide boards always contains the usual suspects and they're all great boards. Get some suggestions from the board searches, read up on the mfg website and get the board that fits your price range, feet, and riding style. I'm about to reply in one of them with a couple of reviews from my action this weekend.. keep your eyes open.

Size 11 is borderline wide. You could get away with most mid-wides, although each mfg definition of 'mid-wide' is different, so check out each board's waist width before you make a move. I would suggest sticking with a board no wider than you absolutely need (unless you can't pass up a steal for a proper legendary wide board), as wider boards open a new host of issues like slower transitioning.

As for the bindings, you want something with some meat to it (not necessarily heavy, but stiffer than a park binding), but just about any large binding out there will fit size 11. Again, tho, to be sure, go to the mfg website for a given binding, and they'll tell you what boot sizes that size of their binding will fit. It will also tell you what bindings they suggest for what type of riding.

The advice folks give here is pretty sound. There are a couple of people who REALLY know their boot and binding shit, so listen to them.

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 01-12-2009 at 11:28 AM.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote