First Board - Used or New? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question First Board - Used or New?

Hello everyone, looking to get my first board and planning to only ride it for a season before upgrading so I'm looking at something in the $150 and down range. Another reason why I'm looking for such a (ridiculously) cheap board is so that I can practice board maintenance on it and not have to worry about messing too much with an expensive board, and also so that hitting rails will be less worrisome. Have no problem with buying older models of snowboards.

I was thinking of maybe a new morrow press (2008) from modernskate.com for $140

Morrow Press Snowboard (2008) Product

or else the ride control (who knows what year...) used from galacticsnowsports.com for $100 after S&H

Used Ride Control Snowboard

Any opinions/better options?
hardpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Find the cheapest lightly used board from one of the main snowboard brands (Morrow, while owned by K2, is shit) on Craigslist or something like that.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would buy used before buying a new Lamar, LTD, Morrow, Sims board personally...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
CapitalEast

I bought a dirt cheap board from Zumiez actually it was a package board boots and bindings for $300

32 JP Walker Prospect Boots - (i like these alot)
Burton Custom Bindgins (these are average as I feel they may break sooner rather than later)
Apeture board (zumiez house brand) - It's better than renting, but in the spring/summer I plan on getting something better...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
I would buy used before buying a new Lamar, LTD, Morrow, Sims board personally...
Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
Find the cheapest lightly used board from one of the main snowboard brands (Morrow, while owned by K2, is shit) on Craigslist or something like that.
Amen. Craigslist and Ebay. Get yourself a good used board. It'll cost about the same as a new shit-shingle, but you'll be much happier with it, and it'll probably last longer.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd go season old big brand rather than a new price point board.

I got my old Rome Anthem for $250 and it was only lightly used. The price point boards I have seen are usually around $200. The extra $50 was worth it.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
CapitalEast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
I'd go season old big brand rather than a new price point board.

I got my old Rome Anthem for $250 and it was only lightly used. The price point boards I have seen are usually around $200. The extra $50 was worth it.
If I didnt find the package I did I would have gone the used route, but I think finding decent boots, bindings and a "throw away" board for $300 makes it worth it

If all you need is a board, I think lightly used is a great way to go

BTW anyone know the real differences between price point boards and the rest? What will the difference be like?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would definitely recommend you go with a used board for your first -- you're gonna abuse the shit outta that thing. Just don't spend too much on your starter package because you'll wanna upgrade in no time. It's only been a year and already I've upgraded my boots and bindings and looking at my next board.
mag⋅net⋅ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Price point boards use cheaper materials and fall apart quickly in my experience. They last maybe a year or two. And the lower end versions are made for beginners and won't allow you to progress very far. Their top end boards are made better, but you can get a big name brand a season old for the same price.

I think price point boards are great for beginners. Especially if you don't go much and don't plan to get very good.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
CapitalEast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
Price point boards use cheaper materials and fall apart quickly in my experience. They last maybe a year or two. And the lower end versions are made for beginners and won't allow you to progress very far. Their top end boards are made better, but you can get a big name brand a season old for the same price.

I think price point boards are great for beginners. Especially if you don't go much and don't plan to get very good.
I dont want to steal this thread but i'm going to have to start another one on a next level board...

I started snowboarding this year (Dec 19) and i've already gone 10 times, I imagine I may have close to 40 before the end of the season. So I think i'm past the initially beginner phase, if you could say that. I guess that lasts for the first 4 or so times... I can hit the blacks now, but I prefer blues.