Trying to decide on Ultra Dream 161 or 159 Wide - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trying to decide on Ultra Dream 161 or 159 Wide

Hi everyone, I could use some input from the guys with 10.5 feet as to board width. It's way past time for me to upgrade my sidecountry board and I've decided to go with a K2 Ultra Dream to chase powder in the trees. My local shop has last years 161 model marked way, but the waist width is cutting it close at 25.3. I found a great deal on-line on last years 159W model with a roomier 26.3 waist width. I know we are only talking 3/8 of an inch here, but I just can't decide. What waist width do guys with 10.5 boots shoot for?

My specs: 5'10", 220 lb geared, 10.5 boot, 16 years exp.
fireroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would go to 161, especially, if you have boots with reduced footprint. And a snowboard size calculator I use ( Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator ) gives 252mm waist for 10,5 boots. I know your confusion, K2 in it's size charts gives wide board for everyone size 9,5 and more boots, which ir ridiculous.
kosmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd go with whichever deal is better. My size 11 kicks are a little big on the outside so I ride a l/xl binding and they usually overhang on standard boards so I stick with at least a mid-wide. A little extra width never hurts on a pow board because it gives more surface area to float, but since the standard board is longer the 159w loses most of its appeal there. It's really six one way and a half-dozen the other.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoz View Post
I would go to 161, especially, if you have boots with reduced footprint. And a snowboard size calculator I use ( Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator ) gives 252mm waist for 10,5 boots. I know your confusion, K2 in it's size charts gives wide board for everyone size 9,5 and more boots, which ir ridiculous.
My boots are the K2 T1, so their footprint is average to smaller then average for a 10.5. K2's website is about worthless, but so are most companies in that they give you waist width but no measurements where you actually mount the bindings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Sleep Shred View Post
I'd go with whichever deal is better. My size 11 kicks are a little big on the outside so I ride a l/xl binding and they usually overhang on standard boards so I stick with at least a mid-wide. A little extra width never hurts on a pow board because it gives more surface area to float, but since the standard board is longer the 159w loses most of its appeal there. It's really six one way and a half-dozen the other.
I can get the 159W for $60 less than the 161, so that may be the determining factor. I doubt anyone could tell the difference between a 159 and 161 except for on the groomers where the extra effective edge on the 161 provides a little more grip.
fireroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
I can get the 159W for $60 less than the 161, so that may be the determining factor. I doubt anyone could tell the difference between a 159 and 161 except for on the groomers where the extra effective edge on the 161 provides a little more grip.
I guess it comes down to how much you're going to miss that $60. If my feet were smaller I'd go for the 161 if I had the cash, but if I were pinching pennies I would go ahead and grab the 159w.

I find it a bit odd you say that the T1's run small on outside. I actually have T1's and I thought they were a bit big. I bumped up to a large union force binding because the mediums were a little too snug. But whatever goes, binding and boot size don't really play into picking a board width.

If you want to be sure if the 159w is going to be oversized or not, check out this post and see if you can't get the measurements for the Ultradream from some shop and see how it sizes up.

Snowboard Width - Huh? / The Boarder's Blog
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not sure what price you are getting at the shop or if you want to hassle with online.

But the 161 is $329 here.

K2 Ultra Dream Snowboard 2013 Size 161cm Never Used | eBay
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote