Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Jones Flagship vs Lib Tech Rice hp (?) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/115153-jones-flagship-vs-lib-tech-rice.html)

beehive 12-29-2013 07:33 PM

Jones Flagship vs Lib Tech Rice hp (?)

guys, I'm in the market for a new board ..

Currently riding a lib tech rice, but wanted to try out something new - was thinking about Jones flagship.

I'm allmountain/freeride guy, Lib Tech I have, is a perfect board for me, but Jones is tempting. So i'm wondering, if it's not a downsize - ride/quality wise.
Any reviews, quality concerns, etc (?)

I'm only affraid, the magna and rocker I'm now used to might be a problem, as it absents on a flagship, but on the other hand, I've been riding cambers for ages before I switched to libs,so ..

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

theprocess 12-30-2013 09:48 AM

No experience with the Trice but I have a TRS (similar but little softer, normal width and extruded base) and recently picked up a Flagship. Flagship is a big-mountain bomber that does well on groomers and has excellent float. TRS is more all-mountain and playful (sketchy charging) with good float. I would assume, again having never ridden one, that the Trice is right in the middle of the two.

ek9max 12-30-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprocess (Post 1383169)
No experience with the Trice but I have a TRS (similar but little softer, normal width and extruded base) and recently picked up a Flagship. Flagship is a big-mountain bomber that does well on groomers and has excellent float. TRS is more all-mountain and playful (sketchy charging) with good float. I would assume, again having never ridden one, that the Trice is right in the middle of the two.

You're right about the sketchy charging. I have 2014 trs and 2014 trice. T.rice is much better at speed. Not as playful for sure though.

beehive 01-04-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprocess (Post 1383169)

thanks for input guys! what about flex and weightwise(?) Read somewhere, Jones carbon is pretty heavy, not sure about a regular flagship

I totally love my Rice, but Flagship is really tempting. Rice comes to me as a nice allmountain board, so I'm affraid Flagship might be a downsize while speaking about a universal board .. also, I'm affraid Jones might be a bit tighter than a rice in the end, no idea. Definitely don't want to end up with stiffer board then I have now. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Nolefan2011 01-05-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beehive (Post 1399713)
thanks for input guys! what about flex and weightwise(?) Read somewhere, Jones carbon is pretty heavy, not sure about a regular flagship

I totally love my Rice, but Flagship is really tempting. Rice comes to me as a nice allmountain board, so I'm affraid Flagship might be a downsize while speaking about a universal board .. also, I'm affraid Jones might be a bit tighter than a rice in the end, no idea. Definitely don't want to end up with stiffer board then I have now. Thanks! :thumbsup:

On older models, the Jones Flagship was a board that you felt everything under foot, ie back in '12. Not sure now though

BFBF 01-05-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beehive (Post 1381529)
guys, I'm in the market for a new board ..

Currently riding a lib tech rice, but wanted to try out something new - was thinking about Jones flagship.

I'm allmountain/freeride guy, Lib Tech I have, is a perfect board for me, but Jones is tempting. So i'm wondering, if it's not a downsize - ride/quality wise.
Any reviews, quality concerns, etc (?)

I'm only affraid, the magna and rocker I'm now used to might be a problem, as it absents on a flagship, but on the other hand, I've been riding cambers for ages before I switched to libs,so ..

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

I've owned 2 TRICE - a camber and a c2 161.5
Had a first yr flag 161 or 164

Quickly off the top of my head without looking at specs.
- Flag was stiffer, heavier and also torsionally stiffer. Not a "fun" board like a TRS or Jones Mt twin would be. Tankish and less playful than the TRICE. It will "ride" you if you're not competent

- My flag was not damp - you could feel every hit/vibration( Jones may have addressed this as mine was year one)

- MTX on the Rice is much more pronounced and aggressive as the mtx on the flag is barely visible.

- My camber rice was a directional twin, c2 was twin shape/flex. Flag is directional shape/flex with setback stance. Ride is very different between the 2 decks. -- Flag was better in powder.

- Flag was much faster edge to edge as the WW was MUCH less than TRICE

- off the top of my head = RICE is camber rocker camber Flag is rocker camber rocker. Again, there is no "better", it's rider preference.

- Both were very fast, and stable… Flag excelled in deep snow and hike to terrain, Rice was better inbounds/groomers/all mountain.

Both are solid decks, but they ride and perform VERY differently.

Good luck.