Dakine Kit to start waxing on my own? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
hokierower

Default Dakine Kit to start waxing on my own?

I just finished 8 days of riding on my first board and from everything I've read, one of the most important things to start doing is learn how to wax your own board.

That said, I am looking at buying the Dakine Super Tune Waxing Kit to start out. It includes all of the following:
  • Temp Adjustable Iron
  • Edge tuner
  • 10" file
  • wire file cleaning brush
  • metal scraper
  • 10" wax scraper
  • pocket stone
  • 2 sticks of p-tex
  • octane bar of all temp wax
  • scotchbrite pad
Does anyone have any experience with Dakine products or this kit in particular? I have a board/ski shop nearby where I can buy wax and ptex, but figured getting a kit like this which has EVERYTHING in it would be better than buying things seperately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
PopN

I was actually looking at buying that kit the other day, also... I didn't because I don't really neeeed it. I have wax and and iron and blah blah but it DOES come in that nifty case which is a plus.

So if you don't have any of that stuff, yea it's probably a lot cheaper to get that kit.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

That Super Tune Kit is great, especially if you get a discount on it.

The wire brush is for cleaning the files, the wax included is a small starter block, and there is no nylon brush.

The side edge tuner is double sided (0 and 88) and has its own double sided file.

The iron is the same one that Swix sells for $70(!).

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 01-13-2009 at 07:10 AM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

DAKINE 09 Snowboard Super Tune Tuning Kit
See details

Our price: $79.95 with free shipping in the US
Suburban Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gustov

in my opinion any of those wax kits are a rip off. you don't need to spend more than $5 on an iron. i got a little travel iron from goodwill for $4 and it works perfectly. scraper from home depot $3. nylon brush $3ish. scotch brite pad $1. plus wax. way cheaper than buying a kit and works the same.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustov View Post
you don't need to spend more than $5 on an iron.
The Dakine Iron is the best I've ever used as it keeps the wax from burning and smoking. It spreads the wax better through weird spots like your bindings. A regular iron works but is rude in comparison.

The great idea of a kit, is the carrying case or bag, instructions, and ease of finding all these small unique items.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Luckyboyee777

I guess you pay for the convienence of it. Just like buying a $20 steak at a restaurant.

I'm still deciding if it's worth $80 for the setup. I could probably use my old iron at home, get most of the items from the hardware store and buy the edge tuner, ptex, stone and wax at REI or something. I would probably a little money. I would probably spend a little less, but get more wax and ptex for the money.

It turns out I'll just need the edge tuner, wax scraper, ptex, stone and wax since I have everything else in my garage. BTW, Zumiez.com is having a sale on their Alibi edge tuners and wax scrapers, $4 each.

Last edited by Luckyboyee777; 01-13-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can get by with a standard iron, but at some point you'll want to upgrade to an actual wax iron. They are much nicer to use. Suburban's deal is solid, though I think he should cut a 10% sbf member discount for plugging on the site here.

Just razzin' you a little Sub's. I think you give solid advice.

You can also watch Steepandcheap and tramdock. Quality professional wax irons pop up for cheap on those sites here and there. I picked up a very nice Toko Iron that is great for waxing for $40. Considering it was normally over $100 not a bad deal. You can watch all the bc.com deal sites here.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=legallyillegal;109647]
The side edge tuner is double sided (0 and 88) and has its own double sided file.QUOTE]

i need a pocket edge tuner ... but i have a 1 degree bevel... to icey here for 2degree
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
tands05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyboyee777 View Post
I guess you pay for the convienence of it. Just like buying a $20 steak at a restaurant.

I'm still deciding if it's worth $80 for the setup. I could probably use my old iron at home, get most of the items from the hardware store and buy the edge tuner, ptex, stone and wax at REI or something. I would probably a little money. I would probably spend a little less, but get more wax and ptex for the money.

It turns out I'll just need the edge tuner, wax scraper, ptex, stone and wax since I have everything else in my garage. BTW, Zumiez.com is having a sale on their Alibi edge tuners and wax scrapers, $4 each.
Use your iron from your house and put aluminum foil over the base as to not get wax in the holes of the iron...Turn the temp gauge to right in between wool and cotton and make sure there is no water in the iron...Steam=not good for snowboards.
Next go to Home Depot, Wal-Mart etc. and buy a 4 inch wide METAL scraper..Plastic or fiber glass scrapers suck balls. You will spend less than half of the time with a metal scraper.
Scotch Brite pads, and a nylon bristled brush (medium on the firmness of bristles scale)
Go to the camping section at Wal-Mart and buy a bottle of Kerosine...This works as the base cleaner
Then buy a good all temp wax and go for it. The kits in my opinion are a big waste of money