Thoughts? NS SL vs Lib TRS vs Lib T Rice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts? NS SL vs Lib TRS vs Lib T Rice

Hi all,

I'm getting back on the board again after a 10 year break. I live in CT so will be mostly riding Stowe and other north east resorts.

I also have business in Utah that will take me out there every year so I'll be making a few trips west as well.

I'm 5' 9" - 190 lbs and I'd say my skills were intermediate to really good when I last rode back in 2002.

I want to get the best all around board, ideally within a day or two as I've decided to go to Stowe this weekend. I've been researching this forum and talking to my local shops and it looks like the NS SL & Lib tech TRS are the best options (and both available to me right away).

I was also told to look at Lib tech T Rice pro, but someone said it'll be much stiffer than the SL & TRS and that I'd have to "do more work" pushing the T Rice around when not at speed.

My shop has a '13 NS SL for $300, which seems like a good value. Ideally, I'd get the '14 TRS but I can't stand the graphics (subjective, I know). I'd get the T Rice pro but how would that compare to the NS SL and TRS on mostly east coast resorts.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
aminewyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminewyork View Post
Hi all,

I'm getting back on the board again after a 10 year break. I live in CT so will be mostly riding Stowe and other north east resorts.

I also have business in Utah that will take me out there every year so I'll be making a few trips west as well.

I'm 5' 9" - 190 lbs and I'd say my skills were intermediate to really good when I last rode back in 2002.

I want to get the best all around board, ideally within a day or two as I've decided to go to Stowe this weekend. I've been researching this forum and talking to my local shops and it looks like the NS SL & Lib tech TRS are the best options (and both available to me right away).

I was also told to look at Lib tech T Rice pro, but someone said it'll be much stiffer than the SL & TRS and that I'd have to "do more work" pushing the T Rice around when not at speed.

My shop has a '13 NS SL for $300, which seems like a good value. Ideally, I'd get the '14 TRS but I can't stand the graphics (subjective, I know). I'd get the T Rice pro but how would that compare to the NS SL and TRS on mostly east coast resorts.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
TRS is a true twin, SL has some setback.

Do you ride a lot of switch? Is switch handling the same as regular important to you?

Both are excellent boards. If you don't spend half of your time switch, get the SL. You want a 158 or 161
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have the Trice Pro and the SL, however, I have only ridden the TRice Pro so far. Haven't gotten the chance to ride the SL yet so I can only comment on the Trice.

I really like the Trice pro for east coast NY, CT mountains. I sized down because i'm mainly on the east coast where I don't get much powder and it's ice all the time. I'm suppose to be on a 155-157 but I went with a 150 Trice.

Surprisingly my 150cm Trice pro handled really well even when Killington had 13 inch powder day.
ekb18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

I get about 20 days per year on the east coast and absolutely love my NS SL 158. I recommend NS to everyone I know out here and they are glad they went with NS. holds unbelievable edge, even on boilerplate. I have so much confidence with the board.
NevaSummaLuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I had more fun on the trs I had a couple years ago over the SL I had that same year, but you can't go wrong either way.

On that note though, the trs changed a bit this year by adding a little more camber. You should also look at the riders choice, it is pretty much the trs before the added camber change with a sinistered base and ptx.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb18c View Post
I have the Trice Pro and the SL, however, I have only ridden the TRice Pro so far. Haven't gotten the chance to ride the SL yet so I can only comment on the Trice.

I really like the Trice pro for east coast NY, CT mountains. I sized down because i'm mainly on the east coast where I don't get much powder and it's ice all the time. I'm suppose to be on a 155-157 but I went with a 150 Trice.

Surprisingly my 150cm Trice pro handled really well even when Killington had 13 inch powder day.
Thanks, that makes sense. The guy at my local shop said if I go with T. Rice Pro, then I should go with a 153 vs the 157/158 I'd be in with a SL or TRS.

I'd be happy to just get T. Rice and be done with it but it sounds like the SL or TRS is really the better all around board for an east coast intermediate guy like me?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
TRS is a true twin, SL has some setback.

Do you ride a lot of switch? Is switch handling the same as regular important to you?

Both are excellent boards. If you don't spend half of your time switch, get the SL. You want a 158 or 161
Thx for this. I never ride switch
Old 12-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminewyork View Post
Thx for this. I never ride switch
I have the 2014 TRS horsepower 154cm and just bought the 2014 T.rice pro Horsepower 153cm.

I have to say that The TRS is much easier to go edge to edge. But when going faster the T.Rice grips much better.

The 153cm T.rice has almost the same contact length as a 159 TRS. And you can feel it for sure. Harder to turn and take it easy, but when you get going I felt much more stable.

I'm an intermediate rider, so maybe the TRS is better for me. But I want to get good at riding the T.rice.
ek9max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I ended up getting a deal on a new 2014 NS SL so that's what i chose.

Looking fwd to testing it out in Stowe this weekend.

I got a 158 over a 155. I hope that was the right choice.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member