Black runs with ice patches and moguls. Help much appreciated' - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Black runs with ice patches and moguls. Help much appreciated'

So am away in the Swiss alps (yey) and whilst it's been bluebird skies every da which is amazing... The snow conditions are a little sketchy.

Question: is it wrong to kind of lift the back leg slightly when transitioning into a turn? Particularly when getting around a mogul, often with I've after so need to get the turn round in time, I've noticed myself doing it.
Doesn't feel particularly wrong but I've heard people talk badly of this kind of 'leg ruddering action'

Note, I only do this on these kind of runs, normally I can carve pretty smoothly and transition fairly smoothly.

Thanks guys. Will get a vid if my buddy brings his camera out.
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade190 View Post
So am away in the Swiss alps (yey) and whilst it's been bluebird skies every da which is amazing... The snow conditions are a little sketchy.

Question: is it wrong to kind of lift the back leg slightly when transitioning into a turn? Particularly when getting around a mogul, often with I've after so need to get the turn round in time, I've noticed myself doing it.
Doesn't feel particularly wrong but I've heard people talk badly of this kind of 'leg ruddering action'

Note, I only do this on these kind of runs, normally I can carve pretty smoothly and transition fairly smoothly.

What you are describing sounds like a kick turn, which is a method also used on steep pitches to quickly switch edges. If that's the case then there's no problem. I would recommend avoiding moguls though, you'll have more fun without them.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade190 View Post

Legit turn shape for steeps and moguls. You're all good.
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So does the back of the board come off the snow when turning?
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
What you are describing sounds like a kick turn, which is a method also used on steep pitches to quickly switch edges. If that's the case then there's no problem. I would recommend avoiding moguls though, you'll have more fun without them.
Thanks, good to hear. Felt like it was working but had thoughts it could be "ruddering".
Yeah I mostly do, but the slopes haven't been groomed recently so bit stuck!
A blue/red run with moguls can still be fun as provides loads of jumps.

Fingers crossed for a snow dump and I'll get off piste asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksup3erb View Post
Legit turn shape for steeps and moguls. You're all good.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
So does the back of the board come off the snow when turning?
The way I was doing it, the back edge was just slightly coming off to allow it to swing around quickly. Used to do it on skis so felt like an alright thing to do

Last edited by Decade190; 12-30-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Decade190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

i feel like a lot of "rules" on riding like keeping your shoulders squared, initiating turns with your forward leg, slight forward lean, etc. go out the window once you start hitting moguls and, to a lesser extent, steeps.

a few bits of advice an instructor once gave me: you're in less control any time your board is in the air, so you ideally want to avoid it, but it'll happen. the next best thing is to above all else, keep your head level by pumping your knees.
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote