Helmets, Helmets, Helmets...Why don't we like them? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
schuler23

Default Helmets, Helmets, Helmets...Why don't we like them?

I'm looking into redesigning a helmet for snowboarders and would love to get some feedback from fellow members. As a non-helmet snowboarder I'd like to hear any and all of your input about why you do/don't wear a helmet. How do you feel about it in terms of...Comfort, style, customization, weight, "cool factor", and anything else you think deserves commenting. Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Your helmet should have a 12" long brim and come with no pads and no strap.

GOD IS DONUT
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The cool kids don't wear them because most pros don't wear them.

A couple of years ago, an instructor was teaching some kids on a bunney hill at C.O.P. He cought an edge while standing still and hit his head on the hardpack. He had internal bleeding in his brain and suffered permanent brain damage. A helmet would have prevented this.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Do a search on "helmet." The issues has been debated many times before.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

Old 01-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
rayray780

Cool i wear a lid

i wear a helmet... and have been for about 4 years now. i feel naked without it now.

sure, it doesn't look as "cool" but you only need to it work once to make it worth it. waiting for that incident before you wear one might be too late. just like seatbelts in a car... you wear it "just in case". just like anyone, i'm confident on the hill/road in my skills as a boarder/driver but i'm not as confident in those other fools out there that may run into you.

wear a helmet.

this PSA has been brought to you by the letters Q, F and the number 9.

-rayray

Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gustov

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...e-helmets.html

there ya go

Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

I remember my first time trying a box, leaned back to far, smashed my head off the corner of the box. helmet shell cracked and i was fine thanks helment ^^

a snowboard thats not as big/thick, but still offers the warmth and protection would be cool i guess. cause some helmets make your head feel heavy and huge..
Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was cool once. Then I got a concussion. Now I wear a helmet.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
roma

You could just easily get hurt doing safe things. Your taking your shower, slip, and bam you're a goner. It's just bad luck.

People tend to be paranoiac, though. A few years back from now, people didn't even think of wearing helms at all, be it in biking or other sports, you just didn't saw people with them. Then there was the huge publicity over it, resulting in people suddenly becoming paranoiac about it. There's only a few times in your life the helm is truly going to be useful. The bottom line is, it's good to have, but overrated.

Use your judgement. If you don't wear one, be more careful. And if you know you're going to try out something that is potentially more dangerous, like the park, wear one for sure.

As for the 'cool' factor, I think it's irrelevant. The last time I heard that nonsense was when I was 8 years old, and at school everyone thought helms were uncool. But ever since, that perception has changed, and I haven't heard of it since.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma View Post
You could just easily get hurt doing safe things. Your taking your shower, slip, and bam you're a goner. It's just bad luck.

People tend to be paranoiac, though. A few years back from now, people didn't even think of wearing helms at all, be it in biking or other sports, you just didn't saw people with them. Then there was the huge publicity over it, resulting in people suddenly becoming paranoiac about it. There's only a few times in your life the helm is truly going to be useful. The bottom line is, it's good to have, but overrated.

Use your judgement. If you don't wear one, be more careful. And if you know you're going to try out something that is potentially more dangerous, like the park, wear one for sure.

As for the 'cool' factor, I think it's irrelevant. The last time I heard that nonsense was when I was 8 years old, and at school everyone thought helms were uncool. But ever since, that perception has changed, and I haven't heard of it since.

Um, all it takes is the helmet being useful ONE TIME IN YOUR LIFE.... god some people, see look no helm = brain damaged opinions

I'm not going to debate stupid threads like this anymore.. darwinism can do the work.
Closed Thread